How to keep pork butt moist overnight? - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 7
How to keep pork butt moist overnight?

I tried searching, but wasn't very successful.

I am smoking a pork butt on Friday to take to a football tail-gater on Saturday. What is the best way to keep the meat moist when re-heating? I will be re-heating in an electric oven.

Thanks for your expert help.
__________________

duckvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckvett View Post
I tried searching, but wasn't very successful.

I am smoking a pork butt on Friday to take to a football tail-gater on Saturday. What is the best way to keep the meat moist when re-heating? I will be re-heating in an electric oven.

Thanks for your expert help.
Let the butt cool for an hour or so. Pull, dress the pork how you plan to serve (extra rub, sauce, apple juice, etc). Lay out in a a try or aluminum pan, cover with foil and refrigerate. When you get to your destination put the tray covered into a 325-325 oven.....depending on how deep the meat is, this should only take an hour. There is no need to reheat low, like the meat was initially cooked, as all you are doing is reheating cooked meat. Reheat to 160-170. The slower you reheat, the longer it will take and therefore the more dried out your pork will be. Also, do not stir the meat anymore than necessary.....when you stir and see steam come out, you are losing moisture. Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Yeah, Larry's way will work. Why not just wrap it in newspaper and shove it in a cooler until game time? It will stay hot for hours like that.
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
BBQ NOOB
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo View Post
Yeah, Larry's way will work. Why not just wrap it in newspaper and shove it in a cooler until game time? It will stay hot for hours like that.
It will be 18 hours after I take it off the smoker. I would prefer to start smoking at 9 pm and cook overnight, but I worry about too much temperature fluctuation. Wish I had a smoker that maintained temp better.
duckvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Larry Wolfe's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bealeton, Virginia
Posts: 14,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckvett View Post
It will be 18 hours after I take it off the smoker. I would prefer to start smoking at 9 pm and cook overnight, but I worry about too much temperature fluctuation. Wish I had a smoker that maintained temp better.
This is exactly why I mentioned, cooling, pulling, dressing and wrapping. There's too much time between your cook and eating to wrap and keep warm in a cooler.
__________________
Larry Wolfe
Visit the Wolfe Pit
Wolfe Rub Recipes
Larry Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.