how much wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copaaz

Assistant Cook
I seasoned my offset today and I'm gonna fire it up tomorrow with some baby-backs tomorrow or Monday and I'm wondering how much wood do I need to keep the property 225-250 degrees? I'm in Arizona so the grill gets to about 100 degrees without any fuel. Should I keep the pit in the shade when cooking?

Assuming maybe we are speaking of a relatively inexpensive offset perhaps? If so..try 3 lbs of charcoal and enough wood to make it smoke. Them things turn into unruly fire breathing dragons when operated on wood alone. Now they do well if you have plenty of wood and a burn barrel and a shovel to provide it coals. It lacks in the good fat in fire flavor which comes from slow direct cooking but it aint bad. If you have a big old thick high dollar log burner I take all this back of course. I would surely put it in the shade if only for the benefit of the cookie.

Great choice. Had a pal who had one that looked just like that branded OKie Joe. I am still slightly down in the back from trying to help him unload that heavy biotch a few too many times. He stuff some good sized wood into it. Be more log tolerant than the $199 model. I would still go heavy on the charcoal for a while till you get the hang of the care and feeding. How is the hole between the firebox and cook chamber looking these days? The one he had was huge. He copied my baffle gizmo and welded it on his pit. Keeps the sideways blast down a little. The one you got seems to have the firebox lowered a little or could be my imagination. If it turns into a issue set a flat pan full of water on the cooking grate and shoved up against the hole. That helps a bunch too. Happy cooking.

Damn bro, you have the same one I have. Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited right? I would recommend about 3 or 4 good sized chunks, that should last for about a 3 to 4 hour smoke. I will add some pics of my fire box set up, so if you like the way it is, you can set it up the same way. All I know is that it works.

Here is my set up for my fire box
DSC_0882.JPG

One the lower layer of grates I opted to layer it with fire bricks to hold heat so your fire does not have to be so big.
DSC_0881.JPG

Did this supposed to have pics with it? If so I cant find anything clickable. Thanks. I wore my old thin skin el cheapo brinkmann offset Snnp maybe? plumb out on the firebricks. I could go under the cook grate and fit in 22 like this \\\/// if you could imagine them laid crossways and nose to nose. Used to have some standarized abbreviations for them pits..but my memory aint as good as it used to be. Carried the bricks around in five gallon pickle buckets when we went comp cooking. Hardshell rednecks..lol.

Damn BW, you saying that is like me going to the playground your at and putting the beatdown on you then stealing your bigwheel. LOL sorry man had one little mishap with the pics hopefully I have it fixed now.

Image One
DSC_0882.jpg

Image Two
DSC_0881.jpg

Back
Top Bottom