How much smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adrnalnrsh

Assistant Cook
For a few racks of baby backs, how long do you smoke them. What I mean by this is do you smoke the whole time their in the smoker, or just for a short period of that time.

Right now I have been smoking my ribs as follows

4 hours in smoker, 2 hours of smoke, 2 hours no smoke wrapped in tin foil.

Anyhow, I got a new bigger smoker and am thinking that 2 hours of straight smoke may be a little too much, so was thinking 1 hour, using only a couple of chunks (not large) of wood. Then was planning on not using foil and just going the full 5 hours.

The 3-2-1 method is 3 hours smoked, 2 hours foiled, then 1 hour unwrapped. The last one I tend to not do, and would either do a 4-2 or a 3-3. Some people put BBQ sauce on at the last, but I don't. I prefer them dry.

Might want to change up the wood you use as well. Pork goes great with apple wood and cherry, or pecan.

If you go 5 hours smoking, depending on your setup, your results might be a bit dry. Not sure. Might take a rack and test it.

There is a ton of ways. I prefer light smoke with Red Oak. Or a tiny bit of Hicory. I smoke for 2 hrs than foil for 2 then no foil for 15 min per side while saucing. Total 4.5 hrs on a UDS. I also love love love! Dry rub ribs. I grill em direct 45 min bone side down then 15 min meat side down low heat, mopping frequently then adding one last layer of mop and dusted wiht rub as they come off! serve with sauce on the side. MMMM. Great way to cook em on a Santa Maria grill too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom