How long pork butts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Massey Q

Cook
So with this being my first real cook I am now second guessing my self on the duration.
I have (2) 7 lb pork butts. Someone told me 14 to 16 hours. I have also read 1.5 hours per pound. or is it internal temp?

I am almost on hour 8. Need your help.

I'm not an expert like a lot of the members but I'd figure a minimum of 14 hrs. if you're cooking them in the 225' - 250' range.

Massey Q said:
So with this being my first real cook I am now second guessing my self on the duration.
I have (2) 7 lb pork butts. Someone told me 14 to 16 hours. I have also read 1.5 hours per pound. or is it internal temp?

I am almost on hour 8. Need your help.

All of the above. About 200 to 205 internal temp. When that bone comes out clean, take it and wrap in foil for a hour.

Just read ur thread with the meat pics. Looks like ur family will be eatin good tonight.
Just open the door a little to let out some heat. Butts are hard to mess up. U can also
foil them to speed things up. Good luck.
Let us know how they taste.

Poke the butts with a skewer or temp probe, if it goes in like butter they are done. Some butts just take longer than others to cook. What temp were you cooking at? I cook my overnight butts at 220* and it usually takes around 12 hours

Massey Q said:
Internal temp is 205. It has only been 7 hours. What the ?

Check it in a few diff spots. If u pull on the bone, did it come out clean? If you try to pick it up it should just about fall apart.
Some times they just cook faster than others.

I foiled them in a catering dish with about 2 cups of cider to steam. They were falling a part but not around the bone. I have them back on the smoker steaming for the next hour and a half.

Rain's no big deal, but I'm sorry to hear you ran out of beer. We cook about 250 butts for our church barbecue fundraiser each year and about 10% have a bone that won't budge.
Glad to hear you are happy with that good lookig pork.

Back
Top Bottom