How do you cook your 'taters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maylar

Home Griller
Looking for advice on baking 'taters on the grill...

What temp and for how long?
With or without foil?
How do you know when they're done?
Will smoke affect them if I put them in along with some chicken?

Maine, Idaho or Russet?

TIA

The time for taters depends on the size of the taters and the temperature that you're cookin' em.

I usually cook 'em at the same time as meat, so the temperature is determined by what I'm cookin' the meat at...

Wrap if you don't want the light smokey flavor, don't wrap if you do. Wrapped will cook a little quicker.

You tell when their done like you do when you cook inside...I like to use a probe of some type, a fork works well. When you poke the taters and the texture feels right, they're done.
Like everything involved with cooking, practice, PRACTICE and then PRACTICE some more...

If I'm cooking a steak or something else that doesn't take that long I'll sometimes nuke the potato in the microwave for a few minutes to give it a head start. Fingerling potatoes or little Yukon potatoes are great on the grill too and are pretty quick to cook. just toss them in a little cooking oil and then sprinkle them with a little kosher salt.

I'll be doing bbq chicken which will be 60-90 min indirect. The direct side is probably 275 or so. Is 30 min for a big tater about right? Hoping to have all done together.

We do baked tates quite a bit. My favorite strategy is Wash and Scrub them good..then air dry them off. Coat them with your favorite grease. Bacon grease is real good..followed by Crisco..Olive Oil etc. Or you can just spray them down with PAM. Dont leave any uncoated spots. Put them in the smoke or gasser on low 275-300 and cook 30 mins on each side or until they pass the poke test using a kitchen fork. Normally total of one hour. I used to try to put seasonings on the skin prior to cooking but gave that up due to various nagging from the War Department. Be sure to eat your tates with some chopped green chiles. The ones in the can work well.

No no..in addition to the other stuff...such as but not limited to shredded cheese..bacon..chopped green onions etc. I traded in the sour cream for Ranch Dressing quite a while back. Now cant hardly eat a baked tate without it.

No no..in addition to the other stuff...such as but not limited to shredded cheese..bacon..chopped green onions etc. I traded in the sour cream for Ranch Dressing quite a while back. Now cant hardly eat a baked tate without it.
LOADED (just about anything and everything) 'taters are the VERY BEST!

We aint dumping no steeken picante sauce from Noo Yawk City on any Texas tates! lol. The first I ever bumped into a proper addendum's on baked tates was at cutesy little cafe up in Colarda called the Ore House. Duango or Pagosa maybe. Its where the Texas folks hang out anyway. They are the ones who clued me in on the virtues of Green Hatch "Chiles" as applicable to bake tates. That is a match made in Heaven. Now whichever yankee called them things "chilis" needs some edumacation. This place can get a person in the ballpark but still has some fallacies. Vermin knows about it..even though he did advocate putting Noo Yawk sauce on a tate. That just aint right. Who has the Rope and Hog knife?
http://www.finecooking.com/qa/difference-between-chile-chili-powder.aspx

Last edited:
We started this when we were out camping, years ago.
Cut the potatoes into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes. Chop up onions about the same size. Salt pepper butter and wrap them up in aluminum foil packets. Put them in the ashes or on the grill turn them When you see them start to steam. Give them a couple more minutes and serve One packet per person. Everyone opens their own packet.

Always a hit unless you leave them on too long and burn them.

I cook jerked sweet potatoes on my grill. I usually cut them into thick, about 1 inch, slices. Toss them in olive oil, jerk seasoning & brown sugar and cook them indirect at about 275'ish for about 30 minutes (flipping once at the halfway point) or until they are soft. I leave the skins on them as they will practically fall off when they are done. http://www.knoxspice.com/Barbecue-rub-recipe/images/Jamaican_Jerk_Yams.jpg

Great idea. My Little Bride loves sweet tates. Thats why I try to carry one around in the pants pocket.

I do something similar with sweet potatoes. Try boiling them for about 10 minutes before grilling them. Speeds up the cooking time on the grill.

Maylar, also look up Hasselback potatoes. You will know what I am talking about when you ooh it up but they can be stuffed with just about anything. I like cheese and bacon, but make it you own. It is a favorite around here and looks really fancy on your plate. It is more of a technique than a recipe and I have made them in the oven and on the grill.

Back
Top Bottom