How do I cook cross cut beef short ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCook

Senior Cook
Hey guys,

Just picked up a pack of cross cut beef short ribs from the grocery store. By cross cut I mean they're cut perpendicular to the rib bones. They're cut about 1/4" thick with a couple slices of bone in each piece. I'll need to take a picture to show you what I'm talking about.

Anyways, if you guys have made these before Im trying to figure out how to cook em?

Should I low and slow it or can I grill them? I'm thinking of just throwing some Wolfe Rub on them and grilling them inderect for a little bit. Just concerened that they may not be especially tender if I cook them fast.

Any input guys?

Thanks,

1/4"?never seen short ribs that thin unless i'm making korean griiled ribs,usually they bout 3" wide standing on the bone side by 4" high and i cookem like a briket,look for a simple korean marinade,nothing less than an hour for a good one,and grill them.
Don't have my recipe book but try-
1 cup kikkoman soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
a bit of vegetable oil,2 tsp
Sessamee oil,depending on how strong,start with 1/8 tsp.
lots of crushed garlic,say 300 or maybe it's 3 cloves?no book remember?
Pineapple juice 1/8 cup
green onions 4 sticks chopped not fine
Just remembered, a tbsp of molasses,and a bit of dark beer 4 oz.
Mix up and marinade an hour.grill hot and turn after a minute,baste with the marinade after turning till done,should look a bit burnt.

:LOL: After all that typing i see i been outdone,looks pretty good HP.
Mmmmmmm kimchee!I pick up kimchee from a neighbour that makes authentic kimchee,i think she mentioned the cabbage is marinated for 6 months,maybe 9?,,every bite is hot and a different flavor the more you chew.

BBQmmm said:
:LOL: After all that typing i see i been outdone,looks pretty good HP.
Mmmmmmm kimchee!I pick up kimchee from a neighbour that makes authentic kimchee,i think she mentioned the cabbage is marinated for 6 months,maybe 9?,,every bite is hot and a different flavor the more you chew.

I was looking for the link and then you posted! My old co-worker used to bring in Kimchee chigae to the office here and WHOA best stuff ever for breakfast. http://www.trifood.com/kimchichigae.html She's since moved to our Utah office :( Nick, keep us posted!

They sell those down here for cheap. You can grill them or bbq them. Both ways work good, but bbq to me tastes better and the whole thing can be eaten minus the bone unless you are a doggie.. Tell us how they came out!!! :D

What we call them in the meat shop I manage is Beef Flanken style short ribs. Pretty popular. We cut them about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom