How about a Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Wife wanted ribs but I talked her into a brisket instead. I asked the Sam's associate who was filling the meat case if he had anything in the back besides the one 18 lb packer and the two flats that were out.

He was nice enough to come out with three very nice packers that were all under 13 lbs. He was very accommodating and full of questions about smoking brisket.

This is not the kind of service one would expect from a Walmart owned store. I encouraged him to come to the fourm just like I did for all the answers. ;)

Anyway,

I injected with a mixture of white grape juice, beef broth, rub and a secret ingredient that I will disclose if it is any good.

After a few hours I cut it out of the cryo and rinsed. I slathered on a little mustard to hold my rub which is a combo of Wolfe Rub and TX BBQ rub.

On to a cold smoker at 9:00 pm. The temps are holding steady at 260 in the dome.

Cliff H. said:
On to a cold smoker at 9:00 pm. The temps are holding steady at 260 in the dome.

Cliff, are you trying the "Wolfe Method"? (Adding cold meat to and assembled, loaded, cold cooker and then adding 10-15 lit coals)? If so let me know what you think.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Cliff H.":8ahtk3pz]

Cliff, are you trying the "Wolfe Method"? (Adding cold meat to and assembled, loaded, cold cooker and then adding 10-15 lit coals)? If so let me know what you think.[/quote:8ahtk3pz]

I did it exactly as you have stated Larry except I only added about three nice big chunks of full lite lump.

Temps ran hotter than expected thru the night. I would say the average temp in the dome was 270.

Here it is 6:44 and I have internal temps reading 199. The probe still has resistance when I stick it in so I am holding out on wrapping and resting.

Ya'll think it will still get to probe tender even though I didn't foil it ?

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":m5mbg7ak][quote="Cliff H.":m5mbg7ak]

Cliff, are you trying the "Wolfe Method"? (Adding cold meat to and assembled, loaded, cold cooker and then adding 10-15 lit coals)? If so let me know what you think.[/quote:m5mbg7ak]

I did it exactly as you have stated Larry except I only added about three nice big chunks of full lite lump.[/quote:m5mbg7ak]

Next time try adding about 10 lit Kingsford next time vs. lit lump.

Cliff H. said:
Temps ran hotter than expected thru the night. I would say the average temp in the dome was 270.

Here it is 6:44 and I have internal temps reading 199. The probe still has resistance when I stick it in so I am holding out on wrapping and resting.

Ya'll think it will still get to probe tender even though I didn't foil it ?

I can live with a 270* dome temp for a brisket or butt, no biggie.

I would foil now and put it in a cooler for 3-4 hours. I wouldn't cook it any longer unfoiled with the temp that high. I always pull briskets between 190-195* whether they pass the probe test or not. After the long cooler rest they tender up just fine, while remaining moist.

If it ran hot...it may have rushed thru the plateau where the magic happens which could lead to a brisket that wasn't as fork tender as one that was given time in the magic zone...I'd wrap and rest it as well.

Done.

Temps on my wsm started to spike to sugar burning temps so I took it off. I have some issues with air leaks that are really bugging me.

I see mods in the wsm future. ;)

Where is the air leaking in Cliff...for as much as you cook you should have a pretty good gunk seal..might be just a matter of twisting the sections so they fit better....

Any pics yet ? I was wanting to do a brisket for a couple of weeks now, but haven't had the time (how sad is that), so Im living my brisket dream through you....SO PICS, BOY !!!

Yeah buddy, that's gonna be gooooooooooood!

Cliff if your door is way out of round take a rubber mallet and work it over a log or tree to try to conform it better.

Cliff if your door is way out of round take a rubber mallet and work it over a log or tree to try to conform it better.

Larry Wolfe said:

I have bent it and shaped it for a better fit. I am just being anal about the whole thing. It only takes a little air to send the temps out of control.

When you shut the vents down to 1/8 the fire will draw from anywhere it can. :x

I couldnt get mine below 245 grill temp last week when I did my ribs, but I haven't used it in a while, so maby some of the gunk dried up...

Back
Top Bottom