How about a Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew it... Got up and am scrounging for Lunch and I see this... ARGH!! :D :shock:

Looks good! I'm not sure how the doors on the WSM are made, but have you thought about sealing it? Maybe use some of the rope seal - like used on wood Stoves to help seal it up.

Just a thought thou

john pen said:
I couldnt get mine below 245 grill temp last week when I did my ribs, but I haven't used it in a while, so maby some of the gunk dried up...
Been so long you probably forgot how to use it...I'm sure there is a thread around here..on how to operate a WSM.... :D (Sorry to jack the thread Cliff...but when it comes to getting a shot in on JP)

In my quest for great brisket, this one does not make the cut.

It looks good. That is about it though.

It was inconsistent with tenderness. I should have pulled it sooner or foiled it. I don't know how long it was in the plateau but it should have stayed there a lot longer.

The bark was the best thing about it. The inside was very bland. The injection that I used did absolutely nothing for the taste.

Better luck next time at least it looked pretty good...what do you think went wrong..did it cook to much....to high temp...just think at least you cooked one JP is still dreaming of cooking one ;)

I think the temps were to high. I left it on to long also. I like the texture of bark with no foil but I like the tenderness that foil produces. That is a real pickle.

Speaking of pickle, Don't ever use pickle juice in a brisket injection unless you are fond of corned beef.

I am looking for a deeper depth of flavor than I have been able to produce. Smokey, sweet, tender brisket is what I am after.

More reasearch and brisket cooking must be done. :D

Cliff H. said:
I think the temps were to high. I left it on to long also. I like the texture of bark with no foil but I like the tenderness that foil produces. That is a real pickle.

Speaking of pickle, Don't ever use pickle juice in a brisket injection unless you are fond of corned beef.

I am looking for a deeper depth of flavor than I have been able to produce. Smokey, sweet, tender brisket is what I am after.

More reasearch and brisket cooking must be done. :D

That's the downfall to foiling, but I prefer the foiled results over the non-foiled results.

Cliff try using a combination of equal parts leftover morning coffee (or cola) and reduced sodium beef stock, bring to a boil and reduce by 1/3 then add 1/2 to 1 tsp Accent (MSG), optional but worth it. Cool overnight, inject and rub as normal. See if that gives you a better flavor profile.

You can also continue to NOT foil if you wish, just pull the brisket sooner (190-195* range) and let it continue to cook/tenderize while it's resting. IMO taking a brisket in or above the 200* range is a crapshoot to getting a moist brisket. Yeah it can and is done, but foiling and resting at 190-195* and a long rest will give you much more consistent results.

Foiling at 160-165* and continuing to cook until 195* in the foil will give you even more consistent results.

Reg beef broth and woorsty is what I have been using with ok results. I tried injecting onion soup mix on the last one.

It was better than this one.

I will give that a try next time Larry. Thanks.

Puff said:
Looked real good Cliff.
Pickle juice :shock: That's a new one.

There is a local steak house that serves pickles with the steaks. The owner says it is a beef flavor enhancer.

Same concept as pork and coffee i guess. They do taste good on a burger.

It doesn't work for brisket but I had to try it to satisfy that recurring thought to use pickle juice in an injection. ;)

Cliff H. said:
Puff said:
Looked real good Cliff.
Pickle juice :shock: That's a new one.

There is a local steak house that serves pickles with the steaks. The owner says it is a beef flavor enhancer.

Same concept as pork and coffee i guess. They do taste good on a burger.

It doesn't work for brisket but I had to try it to satisfy that recurring thought to use pickle juice in an injection. ;)
Thanks for the test Cliff ;)

Back
Top Bottom