Hot Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Picked a bunch of peppers from my garden. I have been cleaning and storing them in glass jars with straight vinegar. Some I have frozen in Food Saver bags.
Some weeks ago i gave my son a jar of Habanero/peach hot sauce which he reported as damned good. So, after today's picking I put together a sauce. Didn't have any peaches, but found a can of cherries and a can of pineapple. Cleaned a pound of peppers and simmer with an onion That got run through the blender after the fruit. The taste wasn't there so I added a couple of tomatoes. Still hurtin. Added cider vinegar, then peanut butter, whoosh sauce, brown sugar. Each thing helped, but when compared to the first sauce a very distinct flavor was missing. Then I realized none of the peppers were Habaneros. Ran about a half dozen through the blender and added to the sauce. BAM. That did it. Those Habs have a great and distinct taste. About that time my wife comes home from work and I say have a taste of this. I coated a big spoon with the sauce, she slurped it up, and spits it in the sink while running water over her tongue. She couldn't even talk. I gave her the half & half container to swig which she did and spit again while flushing water through her mouth under the spigot.
I'm not in the dog house, but I sure as hell can see it from where I'm standing. :(
Sorry for this being so long....
The peppers on top of the Lang are L-R are Serrano, Anaheim, unknown but good, Jalapeno, Habanero, Cherry and Goats horn.
The picture of the stuffed pepper is a PICKLED cherry pepper stuffed with jacked up sausage and topped with bacon and then smoked. They are very good because of the pickling.
A shot of my Dodge eater snuck in. LOL

http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/peppers_oct2/
http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/peppers_oct/

Looks great...you are right about the Habs they have a great flavor...to bad you are looking at the dog house now...

man my butt hurts just lookin at them peppers.... :shock: They look very colorful. I wish I could send you a chile pequin bush from here.

Yep ... I agree them Habaneros are the spice that most things need.

It is what makes Texas Pepper Jelly products rock ....

wdroller said:
Did you try roasting any of those peppers before proceeding?

Seems when I try roasting peppers like these (thin wall) they get dry and crappy. I roast bells allot and layer them in a glass flat dish as follows.....layer of evoo, peppers, salt, black pepper, minced fresh garlic, small mint leaves and repeat another layer. KEEP REFRIGERATED!!!

I mixed the hot sauce with mayo for a real good salad dressing. I do that with bbq sauces too. Try it.

Them look too hot for me. A friend sent me some fresh peppers from New Mexico & the wife made a ristra to dry em. Its also a pretty kitchen decoration

007bond-jb said:
Them look too hot for me. A friend sent me some fresh peppers from New Mexico & the wife made a ristra to dry em. Its also a pretty kitchen decoration

Too hot for you, thought that was impossible? :roll:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom