Hot Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
It's hot outside and I am cooking butts for a work function.

I am using my wsm because it cooks slower than my drum. I need to stretch the cook out a bit. We are not eating till around two.

The wsm is wanting to lock in at 260 grate temp. I am trying to back it down some.

At the grate I would prefer it to be around 240-250.

I decided that 260 was ok since I was doing butts. I went to bed at 1:00 am. After 3 hours my maverick went off alerting me that the temp pit temp was at 205. I had one vent closed and two barley open with the exhaust 100% open.

I opened the vents up 100% until it had bumped back up to 230. I shut one vent off and closed two down to a little less than 1/4 and went back to bed.

Two hours later my maverick alerted me ( actually, it alerted my wife who them alerted me ) that the pit temp was at 300 and climbing fast.

After some time I got the temps below 300 and falling slowly, so I went back to bed and at 8:30 the temps were still at 269.

Had this been a brisket cook I would be not be very happy.

However the butts are right on schedule. :D

Greg Rempe said:
260* is fine, Cliffy!!!

Wow, I didnt think 260 was ok. I thought it had to be right around 225. I just ruined the flat on a packer brisket (cooked to fast) at about 240- 250. :cry:

then again it wasnt a butt ..................

Back
Top Bottom