Holy Smokes . . . Three of my favorite things!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef

Three of the basic meat groups represented here . . . Pork, Beef & Chicken!

Fast cooked at 325 degrees over a mix of Stubb's briquets and Royal Oak lump charcoal. I added some cherry and pecan wood for smoke.

Chicken was rubbed with Ritter's Sweet Apple rub and pulled at 165 degrees after an hour and a half in the WSM. Had some home made mac and cheese with asparagus on the side.

Ribs were rubbed with Suckle Busters Hog Waller and coated with Susie Q's Sherry Citrus Rib Glaze for the last 30 minutes of the cook. Ribs were done after 3 hrs. in the WSM. Didn't foil or fuss with them during the cook and they came out great!

Pastrami was coated with coriander seed, cracked black pepper, minced garlic, yellow mustard seed, brown sugar, sweet paprika, ground ginger and a bit of mace. I didn't add salt to the rub due to the salt content already in the solution the corned beef was packaged in. Pulled it at 165 degrees after about two and a half hours into the cook. Tasted it and found the meat a bit tough but with a nice flavor. I think it was probably a crappy cut to begin with. Should make nice sammies though.

Nick Prochilo said:
Looked great Lew! I think the pastrami needed more time, 165* isn't up there enough.

165 is fine to pull from the smoke, but steaming afterwards is what tenderizes the meat.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":6b4yi2hg]Looked great Lew! I think the pastrami needed more time, 165* isn't up there enough.

165 is fine to pull from the smoke, but steaming afterwards is what tenderizes the meat.[/quote:6b4yi2hg]
Now that I have it in the fridge, is it to late to steam? How would you normally handle this after smoking? Would you foil it with a bit of juice and put it back on the WSM for half an hour or so?

Looks like a homerun to me. Or a stand-up triple I should probably say!

Smokey Lew said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":36tcp9wa][quote="Nick Prochilo":36tcp9wa]Looked great Lew! I think the pastrami needed more time, 165* isn't up there enough.

165 is fine to pull from the smoke, but steaming afterwards is what tenderizes the meat.[/quote:36tcp9wa]
Now that I have it in the fridge, is it to late to steam? How would you normally handle this after smoking? Would you foil it with a bit of juice and put it back on the WSM for half an hour or so?[/quote:36tcp9wa]

I cook mine just like a brisket. Foil it at 165 - 170 and leave it alone until its done. Temp means little, its done when the fork tells me its done.

Back
Top Bottom