Holiday Turkey Cooking Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
We are getting very close to Thanksgiving and I am sure that there will be a lot of questions and suggestions about smoking a turkey. So I thought I would start a thread for us to discuss and give our insights! :D :D

Smoked Turkey......YUM....... :D :D

Captain Morgan said:
Here's a great discussion on cooking turkeys...from right here. Remember the search function folks until we get a FAQ section.

I might warn you, this topic is full of debate, name calling and some pretty funny jokes...topic eventually got locked, but it's full of turkey info from a bunch of turkeys.
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... orum=bbq4u
Now that's funny, I don't care who u are...

Best strategy is talk the warden out of turkey and steer her over to fresh picnics. Cook it sliceable and tell her its unsalty ham. I been doing this trick for years.

bigwheel

Captain Morgan said:
Here's a great discussion on cooking turkeys...from right here. Remember the search function folks until we get a FAQ section.

I might warn you, this topic is full of debate, name calling and some pretty funny jokes...topic eventually got locked, but it's full of turkey info from a bunch of turkeys.

http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... orum=bbq4u

NOTE: The brine recipe I posted should read 3 gallons of water not 2 gallons.

bigwheel said:
Best strategy is talk the warden out of turkey and steer her over to fresh picnics. Cook it sliceable and tell her its unsalty ham. I been doing this trick for years.

bigwheel

BW I would prefer a good country ham or picnic myself over turkey almost all of the time, But at Thanksgiving its too much of a family tradition and I do like to keep those running. we usually do turkey and ham , but this year I was informed that I would be smoking one. At that point and time I think the proper answer is "Yes ma'am" :D

When I do the bird, I set up the weber kettle, indirect heat with a foil pan. I put the bird on the grate with a quartered apple in the cavity, lay bacon slices across the breast and both thighs. I replace the bacon halfway through the cook when it is crisp.

Roast on high heat, all vents wide open. Temp = ??? (no thermometer on the weber).

Takes about 2.5 hours if memory serves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom