High Temp Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
Yeah, I'm gunna try the high temp method.
6 pound packer rubbed with wooster and Wolfe Rub Bold.

Shooting for 350' WSM temp, foil at 170, til probe tender. Total cook time estimated at 4 - 4.5 hours. :shock:

I hope you injected it Scotty, otherwise it may come out dry at those temps. I took Myron's class last summer where he cooked the 3 1/2 hour brisket (whole packer). If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Well good luck to you anyway but those guys that aren't injecting aren't cooking using the Myron method and Myron invented the 3 hour brisket! (or was that Cappy?) :D

Kloset BBQR said:
Well good luck to you anyway but those guys that aren't injecting aren't cooking using the Myron method and Myron invented the 3 hour brisket! (or was that Cappy?) :D

That's why he is using the scotty method....4 - 4 1/2 hours! :LOL:

If Myron cooks a 13 lbs whole packer in 3 1/2 hours at 350, I'd say a 6 lb flat cooked for 4 1/2 hours is probbly 2 hours too long. Myron doesn't foil 'em either. He does use foil though.

Seriously good luck, always open to hear other methods!

Ah...debate about BBQ...much better then macaroni salad vs. pasta salad!

Cappy has been in the lab tinkering with high temp cooking as well and has asked for a podcast on his findings when he has something conclusive to share!

Go Scotty...to be honest, I would be cooking higher temps too with the cold temps outside! :D

It hit 170 and I foiled. Whoa! Did that sucker shrink or what?

Looks plenty juicy to me!

The basics, from what I understand are...

High temp cooking 350-375
Foil at 170-175 - the last int temp you'll take.
Put back on the high heat and start timing it so you know when you check for tenderness. I'll check at 7:00 to see what it feels like. That would be 4 hours since it went on. If it's not probe tender, I'll check again in 20. and so on.

:Edit: Forgot to mention, that the cooker seem to settle in around 340 and seemed to be happy ( with all 3 bottom vent's 100% open) so I left it there. This was just with a 3/4 ring...started with MM.

I let it reset for about 45 minutes in the nuker then sliced her up.
Came out SUPER tender and still had plenty of moisture.

Sammiches

The Wolfe Rub Bold gave it an excellent taste. I guess I could've put it back on the WSM unfoiled to get the bark, but I didn't feel like it cuz the race was on.

Back
Top Bottom