High Temp Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SteerCrazy said:
ScottyDaQ said:
SteerCrazy said:
nice lookin brisket! I am assuming you did not use the water/sand pan??

Me? I used my normal pan. Foiled standard pan, 1/3 full with clean sand, foiled.

Wow, you were able to keep temps that high? I guess if you have all your bottom vents open. Never tried it but I will now!

I had some winds and it wanted to settle in at 323 til I foiled and stirred the coals. Then I had to start closing down the vents that (Yes) were at %100 open.

Captain--

I routinely cook butts at ~275 grate. I find that slow enough to allow for good rendering. Some guys do butts higher, at temps similar to my and Scotty's cook, replete with the foiling, but I do not like butts cooked quite that quickly, nor butts finished in foil.

Scotty--

The smells were great. I used leftover dry rub from the brisket cook on a tri-tip a couple nights later, seen here with spinach wilted into a saute of onions with home-smoked bacon, grilled fingerlings, and avocado tossed with calamondin juice.

img_88192_0_d13b76cb5b147be49c7741e9e79f570b.jpg

Though I do not often make the same rub twice, I'm sure I'll make that one again.

Butts are very forgiving it's hard to screw em up. I find the higher temps make a superior bark

JMHO but I think the low and slow makes for better bark...more caramization and less of a chance for the sugar to get bitter...I prefer to do my butts low and slow...it's a texture thing for me..

Back
Top Bottom