High Heat vs Finishing a Low & Slow Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Olives

Senior Cook
I'd like to cook a brisket Monday but have some time restraints. I've read some good reviews of high heat brisket at TVWBB. Anyone here have any success with a high heat brisket?
I have a 7-8 hr. window Monday which would be fine for a HH Brisket or finishing a low and slow brisket I cooked Sunday. I can't decide whether to go High Heat or finish a Low and Slow.

It depends on what its for. If it's kind of an important cook. Do what you usually do. If you want to try something new try the high heat method.

BTW you can hold the brisket in a red neck cambro for a long time if need be.

I've tried the HH brisket a couple times. It works, but .... it's just that.... it doesn't feel right. Stay in your comfort zone like Dave said. There's plenty of other times to try the HH method when you're not pinned to a deadline.

Wife decided on a butt so things are looking great! Have a beauty in the fridge soaking up some rub right now. It is good being in my comfort zone! Worked some things out and should have 13 hrs. to get it done.

I agree with mr DaQ. With such a thick cut of meat rubbing early doesn't really help as far as the flavor goes. I rub mine before I start the charcoal.

ScottyDaQ said:
I rub mine just before it goes on...Meat is unpredictable on how much stuff it will suck in over a long period. Talking about salt here.

wittdog said:
I agree with mr DaQ. With such a thick cut of meat rubbing early doesn't really help as far as the flavor goes. I rub mine before I start the charcoal.

Does it hurt to rub it 6 or 8 hours before? I know you don't want to do ribs ahead, but I've always done my butts in advance, rub them, bag'em and put them in the fridge, thoughts?

It's whatever works for you if you like your finished product..keep doing what your are doing. You can always try something different and see how it comes out. I'm with Scotty on the salt tho and I don't like seeing my rub left in the saran wrap.

I pat the butts dry...I've found that rub sticks better to dry meat then wet...others use mustard.

Thanks Dave, I'll give it a shot on my next butt cook, maybe rub one early and one right before it goes on the cooker and let the family vote. I've always used vegetable oil too, I'll try it without, no point in extra steps if they're not needed. Sorry 3 Olives for barging in on your post, but inquiring minds had to know.

I place the butt in the frrezer to get it really cold as this makes it easier to trim the fat. I pat the butt dry and then coat it with a thin layer of peanut oil. All of the spices I use are soluble in oil, but several are not soluble in water. I rub the butt, place it in a 2 gal storage bag, and in the fridge for 12 - 36 hrs. I've cooked butts with a quick rub before, but I like the way the bark turns out after a long time in the rub.
Only 1/8 of the recipe is Kosher Salt, as the salt is the key to causing osmosis but only leaves a hint of salt behind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom