Hickory Smoke Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I usually use seasoning salt in my rubs. But I have been wanting to try some Hickory Smoke Salt in my rub. Has anyone tried the Hickory Smoke Salt? Should I take the seasoning salt out and replace it with the Hickory Smoke Salt? Or would it be better to go 1/2 seasoning salt and 1/2 Hickory Smoke Salt?

:spani:

Do a 50/50 and straight. That's the only real way to tell what flavor your after. One word of caution, Most commercial hickory salt is sub par by the use of liquid smoke to produce it. I would suggest smoking your own salt ( I use Diamond Kosher ) The difference is night and day.Plus it's fun.

go for it Darin, I love the stuff

you might find the HSS to be a little saltier than the seasoned salt but 1/2 & 1/2 sounds like a good starting point ... you can adjust from there

another thing you could try is omit the salt from your rub altogether, sprinkle the HSS on your meat first, then apply the rub ... this way you know by sight exactly how much salt you are applying

Is your HSS coarse grain, fine grain or powdery? If it's powdery for 1/2 & 1/2 I don't think I'd use quite an equal amount of HSS by volume ... I'd use a bit less.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom