Hickory chunks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry Wolfe said:
Woodman said:
Personally, I will use 6-10 chunks of wood when I cook. I always see where guys will not want to use too much and "oversmoke" but I have cooked with all wood enough times to know it won't happen! Keep the exhaust wide open. I cooked chicken and meatloaf Sunday and used at least 6- chunks of wood in 3 hours and everything turned out fine. Don't worry or sweat it. I believe "oversmoking" is a myth. DO NOT SOAK THE WOOD>

It is not a myth, it's a fact.

Depending on the size of chunks 6-10 chunks in a WSM is overkill in my opinion. It also depends on how your fire is burning (as Witt states below) and what you are cooking on whether or not it will oversmoke. for the other.
It also depends on your tastes, some people want/like mild smoke, others like a heavier smoke. So what's over smoked to one, may be just right
I cook predominately with hickory chunks and will use 4 fist size chunks for a load of butts, briskets and chucks, 2-3 for spare ribs, 2 for loin backs and turkeys, 1 for whole chicken or parts and meat loaves.

wittdog said:
Couple of things here...comparing an offset and a WSM are two different animals..

and by tossing the chuncks in the chimeny you are preburning them and getting rid of alot of the "stuff" that would cause the meat to be oversmoked....

No matter how much or how little wood you use the fire needs to be clean...you can "oversmoke" meat with just one piece of wood if the fire isn't clean
Its a matter of what you like..you need to experiment and see what works for you

I agree.

I think the comment in red above is basically in agreement with my point?

Woodman said:
Larry Wolfe said:
Woodman said:
Personally, I will use 6-10 chunks of wood when I cook. I always see where guys will not want to use too much and "oversmoke" but I have cooked with all wood enough times to know it won't happen! Keep the exhaust wide open. I cooked chicken and meatloaf Sunday and used at least 6- chunks of wood in 3 hours and everything turned out fine. Don't worry or sweat it. I believe "oversmoking" is a myth. DO NOT SOAK THE WOOD>

It is not a myth, it's a fact.

Depending on the size of chunks 6-10 chunks in a WSM is overkill in my opinion. It also depends on how your fire is burning (as Witt states below) and what you are cooking on whether or not it will oversmoke. for the other.
It also depends on your tastes, some people want/like mild smoke, others like a heavier smoke. So what's over smoked to one, may be just right
I cook predominately with hickory chunks and will use 4 fist size chunks for a load of butts, briskets and chucks, 2-3 for spare ribs, 2 for loin backs and turkeys, 1 for whole chicken or parts and meat loaves.

wittdog said:
Couple of things here...comparing an offset and a WSM are two different animals..

and by tossing the chuncks in the chimeny you are preburning them and getting rid of alot of the "stuff" that would cause the meat to be oversmoked....

No matter how much or how little wood you use the fire needs to be clean...you can "oversmoke" meat with just one piece of wood if the fire isn't clean
Its a matter of what you like..you need to experiment and see what works for you

I agree.

I think the comment in red above is basically in agreement with my point?

Not really, it says some people like more smoke flavor than others.....it's not saying food can't be oversmoked which is what you originally stated.

Cat.Fight.gif

--John

Wood and what kind?????

O.K., I'm headed into an abyss here, so ...
Being a rather poor boy,I don't buy the expensive "LUMP" stuff and you'll never catch me using (YUK) charcoal :!: That said , I rather enjoy Pre-Burning my wood-make me look like I know what I'm doing :D
Besides,when pre-burned all th phenols ,creosote and other nasties are virtually GONE :!: I KEEP my exhaust open 100% all the time, thus eliminating choking my unit causing stale smoke.

img_177736_0_e2f774aa3d7062fae59ed25070349040.jpg

img_177736_1_b8b90b5ef09b1b2074dd2d4e12a8178a.jpg

I've been smoking this way since I was a CUB, and more than not-everyone tasting my "QUE" says it is wonderful :LOL:
Now, I use a variety of woods, mostly fruit(Cherry,Apple,Peach) and a lot of the native Maple here in Ohio. I use splits and take them to embers before putting it in the firebox. Yeah, a lot of waste , but cheaper than the store bought stuff... I don't particularily like the middle man,he gets the money and we get the "CRAP" :!:
As for how much, well , I might use an arm load of 12"ers, but my "Q" is always nice and tasty.
Err,except for my last try at the Bricquettes :x posted earlier :roll:
but never again, I'm staisfied with my smokes and so is everyone I share it with...SO,in essence, I use local wood and make my own lump embers and all it cost is a tank of Propane once a year,(maybe) and that's only to start the burning in the barrel.
I know there are those that say NAY, but that's just MY OPINION :arrow:

img_177736_2_319f17def9c0343dc6ae8910b963cd1f.jpg

Best old bbq chum I have in the world was at one time a dedicated pre burner type person on his very kewlish waterized custom built offset. He start out with two big bags of quartered wood..one mesquite and one hickory..then add some charcoal..light it up and break out the shovel in a bit. He preburned in some kind a big metal disc looking thang which was the bottom off an outdoor fire place I think. One time he broke his ritual and just throwed the wood into the pit. Think we musta got drunk or something:) Hit 1st brisket out of around 90 teams..and continued on being a deadly contender on brisket and ribs. Never known him have a very good chicken cuz he tried to cook it on the offset. At any rate..he never preburned any mo wood or charcoal. Not claiming that cooking contests is an indicator of good bbq and all the other standard disclaimers:) Just felt like I oughta tell the story for whut it might be worth.

That is considered the ONLY way in alot of Carolina BBQ circles for whole hog! I think it is a great method, but not really necessary. In well seasoned, clean burned wood, that gunk you mentioned is neglegible! It is really not any more work than burning direct in the firebox though. You are still only stoking and minding one fire. It is just a waste of btu's! ;)

On our 2007 tour, we only got a couple of pictures of burning the wood down to coals, which were then transferred to the pit.

wilberspreburn.jpg
WilbersCoalBed.jpg

Wilber's (Goldsboro NC) firepit was outdoors.

deanospreburn.jpg
DeanosPit3.jpg

Deano's (Mocksburg NC) was indoors, a wall of brick away from the pit.

--John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom