HH Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottyDaQ

Master of All
I tried the high heat pork yesterday. It came out fine, but I think I still prefer doing pork overnight.

img_200511_0_3f422d2d951ae8a79463127104828682.jpg
img_200511_1_6c97598401f937a762eed5c9a74d1998.jpg

img_200511_2_8ad220c7164d46046ef689ab3e536a00.jpg
img_200511_3_ff82364e7a8500d2c75d0743c5816652.jpg

img_200511_4_597844643b3416ab0116115997215ee3.jpg

The finished product looks exceptionally good! You're plated pic's are ALWAYS top notch!!

Those wings and beans look SPICY!!! How's the tummy today?? :LOL:

ScottyDaQ said:
Larry Wolfe said:
The finished product looks exceptionally good! You're plated pic's are ALWAYS top notch!!

Those wings and beans look SPICY!!! How's the tummy today?? :LOL:
Thanks
It's not the tummy that got got the worst of it. :LOL:

Apply yogurt to the area in distress! :shock: :LOL:

well it sure looks good...why didn't you like it as much?
Dry? My concern about the high heat method is the reduced
time for the fat to render and the collagen to form. Still
haven't tried it.

Captain Morgan said:
haven't tried it.

It was plenty tender...fall apart good. I foiled at 163 and took it to 203. The part I didn't like smell coming from the smoker (burning grease) and the bark got dark real early, not that nice mahogany color.

ScottyDaQ said:
Captain Morgan said:
haven't tried it.

It was plenty tender...fall apart good. I foiled at 163 and took it to 203. The part I didn't like smell coming from the smoker (burning grease) and the bark got dark real early, not that nice mahogany color.
Looks great Scotty!. I can relate to the burnt drippings smell, and dark bark. A couple small spots on my HH butt where the meat was hard maybe 1/4" thick ... like the corners closest to the water pan edge vertical.

On the upside though the product was so moist and tender the leftovers were moist and tender even after nuking several days later, not dry.

Scotty, I too noticed the smell of burning fat through most of my HH cook Saturday. I actually didn't mind it too much but I was a tad concerned that it might put an off taste on the pork...but, after the foil and hold it turned out very well. I am still partial to the lower temps if I have the time though!

Well it do look mighty tasty. Not quite sure whut is H&H pork or whut a person considers high temp? Anywhere below 300 less it just short bursts above that figger always works for me. I have tried the low and slow technique and wound up with thick sliced Tasso a time or two. Person who tries it needs some real high humidity levels in the pit. Now aint neva seen anybody naggin about the fat in the fire flavor. That is where the flavor is at. In fact back in my old Snnp days I would catch the grease in a bucket and go dump it on the fire to get mo flavor. An ideal made offset would channel the grease direct back to the firebox. That get rid of it and give good flavor all in one fell swoop. I might build one like that one of these days but I hate offsets so not sure whut a mother should do. Any idears?

bigwheel

I did 2 last year High heat... 1 jerk and 1 regular. They were good and better than many I have had in restaurants, but there werent as good as the low and slow-- IMHO.

Fat in the sand pan... curious... do you cover it with foil? If not, doesn't the fat from previous cooks turn rancid? Do you change it every time?

Qjuju said:
I did 2 last year High heat... 1 jerk and 1 regular. They were good and better than many I have had in restaurants, but there werent as good as the low and slow-- IMHO.

Fat in the sand pan... curious... do you cover it with foil? If not, doesn't the fat from previous cooks turn rancid? Do you change it every time?

I put 5-6 layers of foil over the sand, and just remove the layer or two after the cook. The sand stays dry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom