Help WSM'ers who use LUMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've recently used up the last of the GF's kingsford on the grill. Another thing I've noticed while doing this is the incredible amount of white smoke that comes off the grill b4 there's even any food on the grill. No possible way I'm seeing grease smoke. Just garbage burning out of the bricks, but the more I think about it, the more I'm concerned about what's really in bricks.

Captain Morgan said:
you know it's wierd, I've been using Kingsford for years, but over the last 6 months I thought I was noticing the taste in my food. At first I thought I was going crazy, but now I have to agree it does affect the taste. Lump from now on.

Welcome to the other side. Now you have to convince a judge that the charcoal taste is bad. Way too many judges equate charcoal taste with smoke. Wood flavor is a nuance not a charcoal bite.

Good Q!

Jack

I was thinking that...I talked to Bobby Flay on the phone one time, and he said till he was about 18 years old, he thought bbq tasted like lighter fluid. We like what's familiar. I'm concerned a judge may taste my
q and say...no flavor! :-(

Captain Morgan said:
I was thinking that...I talked to Bobby Flay on the phone one time, and he said till he was about 18 years old, he thought bbq tasted like lighter fluid. We like what's familiar. I'm concerned a judge may taste my
q and say...no flavor! :-(

I listen to the judges when they talk behind the curtain. The best of them say "that sample had a good smoke flavor". The novices say " that sample had a good charcoal flavor". To me there is a huge difference. To them....no tellin'. I'm not even sure a beginner can discern liquid smoke. It's hard to follow a sample back to the field to see what the fuel was. I can taste charcoal, I don't like it and I mark down on taste for it. I like pecan and fruit woods. I can recognize the difference and will score it accordingly. I'm not sure your "basic" judge knows the difference. That's why I like to play in the big games. The judges are more seasoned and the level of play goes up. I think BBQ should be judged without sauce. That is a debate that deserves it's own thread. Is Barbecue, BBQ, if it dosen't have a sauce? I'm sure it's been beat to death here and on other forums. It's fun talk for the winter though. :) :idea:

Good Q!

Jack

what stinks is I need the sauce to compensate for my rub. i know what I'm shooting for, but I can't get it. Larry and Glenn R both sent me rubs that were better than mine, but I can't get the right combination of my very few spices.

Of course, if I did, I'd have to move on to the next food category, and I don't want to do that yet!!! \:D/

Captain Morgan said:
what stinks is I need the sauce to compensate for my rub. i know what I'm shooting for, but I can't get it. Larry and Glenn R both sent me rubs that were better than mine, but I can't get the right combination of my very few spices.

Of course, if I did, I'd have to move on to the next food category, and I don't want to do that yet!!! \:D/

The semantics is where I have trouble. I don't find much good in a rub on large cuts of meat. Most of it is washed off in the mopping process anyway. Now, when you use your rub for a seasoning agent, thats where things get mucky. I use a basic kosher salt and garlic pepper blend on whole hogs and shoulders/butts. I season the barbecued pork with a different mix when I'm making a finished product. I like to use a mix that compliments the injection, the mop, the rub, the rejuvination juice, the finishing sauce and, of course, the pork. That's a slightly more complex mixture. I'm back in the hammock on all of it until March. A few top fives but no championships this year. Time to retool (my personal favorite part). Lump charcoal always plays a strong part in the retool. =P~ 8-[

Good Q!

Jack

and therein lies the rub.

so to speak.

I used my rub with someone else's sauce.

not bad, but not where I want to be.

I like my mop and finishing sauce. I need to perfect my rub
to perfectly blend in. This stuff is getting complicated. Think I need to
hit my hammock as well!

Back
Top Bottom