Help WSM'ers who use LUMP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brothers...I visit this board daily, but this is my bbq time. Here in the coastal Carolina's, hog killing time is October and November, meaning, it's too dang hot in the summer time to do a pig. This is the traditional
time for church homecomings, political rallies, etc.

Our Fall season didn't come till this week, so I'm excited about this cook
in cool weather. And I wanted to re-post a poem by my long lost
friend Rickwieser, who pretty much says it all here..

Why BBQ

The fog from my breath swirled slowly
On this cold November morn.
And the wisps of smoke rose skyward
As the birds echoed up there scorn
Occasionally the sound of silence
Was shattered by the pop of a spark
Or the woeful cry of the neighbors dog
As he spoke into the dark
The pungent smell of fresh coffee
Blends in with the smells of fall
Leaves twisting and turning downward
As they answer to natures call
Words can't describe the sense of pleasure
As I add wood and tend my fire
All the sounds and smells of BBQ
Just feed my burning desire
Is this an act of sanity
To rise so early and perform this task
You evidently don't know BBQ
Or you wouldn't even have to ask

By Rick Rucker aka Rickwieser

Captain Morgan said:
Captain, if you clicked on "Resize Image?", don't ~ It only uploads a thumbnail size image, not the actual size that your camera took. (320 x 240 is the size of your pic) :!:

The Joker said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":2fkwr0jk]
sooooooo..the long wait begins.
sooooooo..we're still waitin' ~ How's it goin' ?[/quote:2fkwr0jk]

Very disappointed with the Cappy............If his ship was sinking he would have been the first one to abandon the ship. No loyalty to the crew! [-(

well thanks for covering my a guys! [-X

As fate would have it, I did not have enough lump to get through the night. When the Maverick beeped at 3 am, and I knew I had no more
fuel, and I knew it was 34 degrees outside, I decided to sleep.

Just got back with 3 bags of lump, so there will pics today!!!

Captain Morgan said:
well thanks for covering my a guys! [-X

As fate would have it, I did not have enough lump to get through the night. When the Maverick beeped at 3 am, and I knew I had no more
fuel, and I knew it was 34 degrees outside, I decided to sleep.

Just got back with 3 bags of lump, so there will pics today!!!

So what are you cooking today?

2 more butts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

went back to the same store, sure enough, 2 butts for a little over
4 bucks each!!!!!!!!!!

just lit the lump, trying to get temps set.

Noticed the coals burnt through last night, but a lot of the lump didn't
ignite!!! Gonna have to keep an eye on this. A sober eye.

For the first part of the cook anyway. :)

I'm full. I'm at work, but will post more pics when I get home. Butts finished during halftime of the Clemson/So, Carolina game.
My neighbor and I ate about half a butt!

My thoughts....the lump worked much better this time around, nice even heat. Much less ash. Also, I truly believe now it was a charcoal flavor
I was tasting. I guess I'm a lump convert now.

The pecan and apple mix was outrageous! Smelling the sweet smoke in
crisp fall air was the best smell I can remember. I really wanted to taste the flavor profile so I used a bunch of pecan, and it still wasn't overbearing at all. I really like the pecan a lot. I guess I'm a pecan
convert now.

One of the butts got sauced with Blues Hog (thanks Jack W. and sort of Finney, ). I can understand why this sauce does so well in competitions.
When you are tasting the pork with the sauce on it, you can taste just about the right amount of heat, a good amount of sweet (a tad too much for me, although I know the judges like sweet), and a nice vinegar wang.
It's a pretty good compliment to the pork. That said, I somehow feel
the excellent components that are looked for don't quite add up to as good a whole. Does that make sense? I thought each componet was
very good individually while tasting, but somehow I don't like the sauce as a whole as much as I thought. Kinda hard to explain. I wouldn't be
afraid to use Blues Hog in a comp at all, but I won't use it as my first choice at home.

Great cook, and I rarely say that.

Capt.,

Two questions; when you say a bunch of pecan, how much wood did you use? and did you use Blues Hog Original or the Carolina Red Sauce he has.?

Had to be the Carolina Red. It was very similar to a Lexington style sauce, just a lot sweeter.

Don't laugh, but I used about 6 chunks of pecan, and about 3 of apple.
When I post the pics you'll see a good smoke ring, but again, the subtle
flavors prevented the butts from being "oversmoked."

here's a pic of some pulled and chopped with a portion of butt on top.

It's already been sauced with the Blues Hog in this pic.

If your pecan chunks are anything like mine, then 6 equals 3 fist sized chunks anyway, so 3 and 3 doesn't seem that overboard. Pork looks good, I might have to give that sauce a try, I've heard good things about it.

I think I understand what you're saying about all the parts not equaling the whole, I think, like something is still missing.

well I would have tried it a long time ago, but I couldn't find a good source of anything but Cowboy Brand until I stumbled on the Piggly
Wiggly this week. Anyway, I've got two and a half bags ready to go.

Definately will use it on ham this week.

Capppy,

First, congrats on the successfull cook and your initiation into the wonderful world of lump. =D>

As a dedicated lump user I'm afraid this will sound like an I told ya so. It's not intended that way.

Years ago when I started with my ECB I had terrible trouble keeping a cook going. I'd bought into the hype from Kingsford about how good they were. Then I remembered an old friend preferred Royal Oak for his grilling an' tried that. A little better but not right. Kept trying different bricks and started using Kroger, store brand, bricks. With these at least I could cook w/o constant stirring of the coals to knock off the ash. Eventually tried some lump on the advise of a friend and the ash problem virtually went away. This was all before my days on the internet, well b4 I knew BBQ forums even existed, and had ever even heard or thought about modding and ECB.

Imnsho, everyone who has a pit that is air tight enough, to be capable of controlling a fire, and has cooked enough to understand fire control can learn to cook a better product with lump. Just stay away from the lesser lumps (like cowboy) and you're on your way.

Again, congrats on the "first" cook and now that your converted please help spread the word. Maybe together we can do away with those "nasty" bricks.

you know it's wierd, I've been using Kingsford for years, but over the last 6 months I thought I was noticing the taste in my food. At first I thought I was going crazy, but now I have to agree it does affect the taste. Lump from now on.

Back
Top Bottom