help with ribs 3-2-1 method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sluggo

Cook
I put 2 racks of St Louis style ribs on my Traeger this w/e.
the 1st hr on smoke (which is around 200 or less)
the nexr 2 hrs on 225.
I foiled for 2 hrs maybe 2 hrs 15 min on 225. When I took them out of the foil, the meat was pulling back from the bone okay, but the ribs where falling apart. Makes them tuff to work with although, I got them out of the foil onto the cooker for another maybe 30 min while I slopped on some sauce.

they came out pretty good, my mother in law like them as while as my wife, but I know they shouldn't be falling apart like this. Texture etc was good, maybe a little tuff, but pretty good.

Too long in the foil?

Sorry don't know how to link in pics yet.

Sluggo, sounds like you need to check all your therms...my
guess you were actually running a little hotter than you thought.

I'm a big fan of foil too, because it works for me and helps make consistent BBQ.

Now, I use a variation of the 3-2-1 and modify it into a 4-1-1. I personally do not like the texture of the ribs if they are in the foil for two hours. One hour in the foil will give me a nice bite on the ribs without the meat being mushy or falling off the bone.

With that said, I would first calibrate your thermometers and if they're fine, I would adjust the time the ribs are in the foil the next cook.

Never got the "foil" thing. I just go bone down, 4-5 hrs later, done. But I cook on the beater pit direct.
img_152111_0_59c884a783586bc3a74e97a9f8fd38d9.jpg

Hay, that's Jokers old buggy in the pic too. :D Wish that moron would Join again. Great guy.

I continue to teach my son-in-law to cook.
Last week we learned to trim spareribs St. Louis style and he learned the 3-1.5-.5 method of cooking ribs at 275F.

I left him Friday night after we trimmed four racks and rubbed them down. Saturday was the cook. I heard they were really good.

Next week we are going to do a reverse sear!

This forum is the greatest, lots of meat in here! :D

I hate to, but I agree with Larry.

Pigs, what the hell temp are you cooking at that gets spares done in "4-5 hours!!!!?????"

Woodman said:

Pigs, what the hell temp are you cooking at that gets spares done in "4-5 hours!!!!?????"
My UDS cooks 'em in 5 hrs. at 230* 8)

Woodman said:

Who knows Dave. you know I don't use no stinking thermometers. :LOL: It's got to be about 275 or a little more. Works for me. :D

Hey guys, I dont mean to point out the obvious but it sounds like he did the 1, 2, 3 metod.
I put 2 racks of St Louis style ribs on my Traeger this w/e.
the 1st hr on smoke (which is around 200 or less)
the nexr 2 hrs on 225.
I foiled for 2 hrs maybe 2 hrs 15 min on 225. When I took them out of the foil, the meat was pulling back from the bone okay, but the ribs where falling apart.

Try 3 hours in the smoker at 240, 2 hours in foil at 240 then 1 hour finishing out of the foil at a little higher temp. 3, 2, 1. Hope this helps.

Looks good to me.

I've been using a Traeger the last few days and I'm wondering how you adjust the heat. I'm using a Lil Tex with a switch that says Hi, Medium and Smoke.

Also, when you say foil, are you wrapping the ribs totally? Putting a tent over them? Is this on the grill or off?

I'm just learning and this place and the people here are wonderful.

Thanks!

When I foil, I take two racks of spares (three racks of BB's) and stack them before wrapping one way, then the other in two sheets of HD foil appx 30" long.Wrap them as tight as possible. Save the juice that accumulates to put into your sauce.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Never got the "foil" thing. I just go bone down, 4-5 hrs later, done. But I cook on the beater pit direct.
img_152181_0_59c884a783586bc3a74e97a9f8fd38d9.jpg

Hay, that's Jokers old buggy in the pic too. :D Wish that moron would Join again. Great guy.

Some fine looking ribs Pigs. I'm with you - no Texas crutch for me.

thanks

& sorry if this is a double post-I checked could be slow
tuff- maybe the ends a little tuff. But when you tried to pick them up with tongs, they fell apart, no way they'd hold together for 90 degree test

my Traeger I added the auto temp control. at 225 it keeps it around 200-240

I think it is the weight, I bought a box from a packer already trimmed st louis style, they do look a little lean

I think I'll try 3 -1- whatever need to finish to get them to a 90 degree bend.

Thanks!!

good point

but I left the membrane on, ( I meant to take it off but forgot) & I don't think the butcher took it off.

Back
Top Bottom