Help with chicken halves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
I'm smoking a few chicken halves on Fri and not sure if they should be cooked skin up, down or both - suggestions please - any other guidence also.

big dude said:
I'm smoking a few chicken halves on Fri and not sure if they should be cooked skin up, down or both - suggestions please - any other guidence also.

I normally do them skin up but it doesn't really matter if you want to flip them several times throughout the cook.

For smoking, I leave em skin side up. Personally, I don't like a lot of rub on the chicken skin when smoking...you're gunna throw the skin away anyway. Are you gunna brine?

For grilling....gotta have that nice charred crispy skin that some flashing of direct gets ya.

Mmmmm Yard birds.

ScottyDaQ said:
For smoking, I leave em skin side up. Personally, I don't like a lot of rub on the chicken skin when smoking...you're gunna throw the skin away anyway. Are you gunna brine?

For grilling....gotta have that nice charred crispy skin that some flashing of direct gets ya.

Mmmmm Yard birds.

Not completely true. You can get decent edible skin when smoking, but not as good as grilled.

ScottyDaQ said:

Mmmmm Yard birds.

My plan was to brine for about 4 hours - doing some cornish hens as well. Was thinking smoke at 275 til almost done then crank up to 350 to crisp up the skin.

Larry Wolfe said:
ScottyDaQ said:
..you're gunna throw the skin away anyway.

Not completely true. You can get decent edible skin when smoking, but not as good as grilled.

True...but if it slides off in one big piece when they hit it with a fork .... only the REALLY COOL people will slice it up and chow it.

Sounds like a good plan Big Dude.
;)

ScottyDaQ said:
Larry Wolfe said:
ScottyDaQ said:
..you're gunna throw the skin away anyway.

True...but if it slides off in one big piece when they hit it with a fork .... only the REALLY COOL people will slice it up and chow it.

Sounds like a good plan Big Dude.
;)
Who eats chicken with a Fork... :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom