Help maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevTN

Assistant Cook
Good morning...

For Father's Day my family got me a side smoker for my grill. I have already grilled a Boston butt to get a feel for it. With that said...

I just put my first brisket on the grill (about 830am). I bought it not really knowing what to look for. When I put it on the grill I noticed that is was all flat almost like it did not have a point(?) (that is the thickest part right) I would assume that this would reduce my cooking time alot correct? Like I said I didn't know what to look for is there brisket sold without the point? (I have just been reading the point is the thickest part of the briskest that is another muscle that is separated by a layer of fat and where the burnt ends come from)

For prep I am kinda a simple guy. I like to taste the meat I am going to eat. A little olive oil garlic salt and a bit of Big Poppa's brisket rub yesterday. Brought grill up too 300 and put her on...I do not have a way to measure internal temp so after a few hrs I will foil and use the "poke" test for when it is done. I am using chunk hickory charcoal for my heat.

Feel free to correct me on anything lol. When I said this is my first brisket it is my first I am a complete noob....thanks for any advice and comments...

This side box is pretty cool and easy to hold the between 250-325...

Here she is right before i foiled her up...

Attachments

• 29C48ACD-9776-476C-8370-E3569F77F9A5.jpg
    29C48ACD-9776-476C-8370-E3569F77F9A5.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 253
I'm no expert on brisket (except eating it :) ) but in a full brisket I believe there are 2 parts, the flat and the point. Good job being able to keep the side box at a consistent temp. Let us know how the finished product turns out.

Well it was tender but it was a bit dry...oh well first try...always next time..any suggestions would be helpful..had a good smoke ring on the inside...

Here is a pick before i sliced her open...

Attachments

• 5A1EAC71-C564-45B6-ACE5-7427AC8EF8DC.jpg
    5A1EAC71-C564-45B6-ACE5-7427AC8EF8DC.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 244
Try injecting some beef stock into it next time before you put it on the smoker. Another way to keep it moist, is to use a mop every maybe 45 minutes to an hour. Just open the door/ lid long enough to mop it then close it again.

Back
Top Bottom