HELP in a hurry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Ive got 2 butts on wsm. One is at 195 and the other is at 202.....Neither one is super tender. Should I leave them on? I dont want to overcook them.....Ive got to serve it in 4 hours. Thanks!

I'd just keep cooking if they don't feel tender enough ... right up to enough time for a 30 minute rest before shredding (pulling) time. It's really hard to dry out pork butt.

If your really worried about it foil them in the oven at like 325ºF and push them through.

Shawn White said:
I'd just keep cooking if they don't feel tender enough ... right up to enough time for a 30 minute rest before shredding (pulling) time. It's really hard to dry out pork butt.

If your really worried about it foil them in the oven at like 325ºF and push them through.

I agree.

'Temperature' means nothing as far as meat being done, it's only a guide as to when you should begin checking for 'done'. When they're tender, they're done, not until then.

Thanks guys. I wasnt sure if id get any replies and I didnt want to overcook. I double foiled w applejuice and stuck in the cooler about 10 minutes after I posted. I took em both to 205*. whew.... I've never had that happpen before! I hope like hell they tender up. Thanks again for the input. Ill let you know how it turns out.

Yer temp probe may have been in a fat pocket or near the bone, That give false readings too

007bond-jb said:
Yer temp probe may have been in a fat pocket or near the bone, That give false readings too

Excellent advice JB. I did check them in several places but that did make me think.......and never woulda thought of a fat pocket! Thanks man!

Shawn Pigs & Larry, I doubl foiled (like i said) for 2 hours in the cooler. She came out and fell apart pretty good. I was scarred to keep cookin it cause I didnt want it to overcook or get dry on me. Usually I go by tenderness and not temp but I dont think Ive ever had one go like this........at least not that I can remember, hhahaa thats a beer joke ...right? Thanks goes to everyone for the speedy responses! db

Prob get my arse ripped for this but once again no pics. I took about 5# of PP to wifes work today and served 7 people in a confrence. Some went back for 2nds..After they were done the rest went to the kitchen and was gone shortly after. Yahoo!

Good deal DB. Some folk flip on foil. I don't like to use it along with the cooler. But ya got to do what ya can to get the job done. Glad it worked out for ya.

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Good deal DB. Some folk flip on foil. I don't like to use it along with the cooler. But ya got to do what ya can to get the job done. Glad it worked out for ya.

Pigs

Thanks Pigs......I know foil will steam the Sh** out of it. I usually foil for a bit anyways. I wasnt sure I could pull it off today. I thought I over cooked it somthin weird! Thanks!

When you say tender, what do you mean? Aren't you making pulled pork?
Did you pull some off and it wasn't tender? What was the results anyway? Post pics with a timestamp on them and geo tagged please... ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom