HELP HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well there is fat on there then there is the skin (rind) which covers the fat. You want to leave the fat but get rid of the rind. Bunch of theories out there on how to handle it. I like to give it a mustard slather and a rub and cook it about 3 hrs..then skin it. Re rub the wet spot and keep cooking the rind and meat as separate units. I like to put the skin on the grates fat side down and cook till it gets nice n crispy. You can eat it for a snack..crumble up a bit in your pushed pork...or feed it to the dawgs. Also makes great bean seasoning. Getting rid of the rind gives you nicer bark on the meat i.e. Mr. Brown...rind left on it tends to make the meat under it wet and mushy aka Mrs. White. Some folks cut slash marks or checkerboard patterns across the rind to let a little smoke flavor break through to the meat. It very hard to skin it raw but after it has heated up it slips right off. I like to cook them to about 185 which should be the sliceable stage and pass it off as unsalty ham. My crew loves it.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom