Help for WSM 18.5" Pork butts this weekend - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue

Old 05-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
BBQ Central College

Help for WSM 18.5" Pork butts this weekend

Planing on doing some butts on new WSM this weekend, I am getting used to the WSM...Last time I did 2 full pork shoulders on Chargriller Pro they came out great but the CG is a whole other beast... any tips for the WSM? any help from you guys will help me out in new WSM land lol. Thx guys ahead of time for your input...looking forward to the weekend YAY!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Cooker

Re: Help for WSM 18.5" Pork butts this weekend

Foil the water pan don't use water. Start it using MM method. Apple, Cherry or Hickory wood.

22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, 22.5 Weber OTG
ChuckBBQSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #3

You are a good Boy Scout, it is only Tuesday, but you are prepared Probably an unnecessary step, but I tie my butts to make a more compact package so I can put two or three on the 18.5" and not have them hanging out the sides. I usually trim, rub and then tie Thursday night to cook Friday night into Saturday. By rubbing before tying I'm sure I hit all surfaces with rub. Good luck.
Smokey Joe Gold Q 300 Gasser
KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Wizard of Que

I don't know what's with the "no water in the pan" thing other than the fat and grease going into the water. I always fill the pan with water for slow cooks. If I want higher temp. cooks, then I will foil the pan and leave the water out. Clean up isn't a big deal with a garden house, a spray nozzle, an empty 5 gal can and two hungry dogs!
Weber Performer, black

http://chaneysgrills.com/index.html
Smokey Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
BBQ Central College

I have been using sand in the water pan thus far, I do like the way it cooks with the sand, Any input on size,time,temp? I know everyone has there prefrences just trying to form a good starting point for myself
Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Cooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMYJAM
I have been using sand in the water pan thus far, I do like the way it cooks with the sand, Any input on size,time,temp? I know everyone has there prefrences just trying to form a good starting point for myself
1.5-2hrs per pound is the norm and I cook 225-250. What size are they?

22.5 WSM, 22.5 Weber OTS, 22.5 Weber OTG
ChuckBBQSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
BBQ Central College

This is lengthy but maybe there will be something in here useful....

Well, last weekend I did my first smoke, two pork butts, in my new 18.5" WSM. I trimmed the butts, tied and applied dry rub; in fridge by 8 a.m. since I was doing an overnight smoke and wanted at least 12 hours in rub. 8 p.m. I pulled butts from fridge, sprinkled a bit more rub on, let sit on counter while I got WSM ready.

I filled ring with briquettes, used Guava wood chunks for the smoke, and added 3/4 chimney full of lit coals to the top of that. (full enough so the water pan was almost sitting in the coals). Put the middle on the WSM, foiled water pan in and filled, put butts on racks and put in smoker.

Lid temp hit 250 quick, top vent open 100% I closed up bottom vents to about 25% open. 1.5 hrs. later I closed bottom vents to 20% open. Lid temp was 250 at midnight, and when I checked again at 5 a.m. At 6:30 a.m. lid temp was 225 so I stirred coals, temp spiked to 260, then settled back to 250 in less than an hour.

Pulled both butts off at internal temp of 190; the 7 lb'er done at 8:30 a.m. (11 hr 20 min., the 8 lb'er done at 10:00 a.m (almost 13 hrs). Foiled the butts, let sit on counter under towels for about an hour each, then pulled. They were pretty close to perfect !

Have fun !
Smokehouse "Big Chief" top loader (just my fish smoker)
Brinkmann SS Gas grill
Bradley Smoker
Alaskan Grill made by Karen ;)
friesian_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #8

Here's some advise to do while doing whats already been mentioned. After you put it all together, the meat is cooking away, sit back and enjoy a few beers, there will be nothing left to do until the meat is done. Set it and forget it!
Old 05-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
BBQ NOOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by friesian_rain
This is lengthy but maybe there will be something in here useful....

Well, last weekend I did my first smoke, two pork butts, in my new 18.5" WSM. I trimmed the butts, tied and applied dry rub; in fridge by 8 a.m. since I was doing an overnight smoke and wanted at least 12 hours in rub. 8 p.m. I pulled butts from fridge, sprinkled a bit more rub on, let sit on counter while I got WSM ready.

I filled ring with briquettes, used Guava wood chunks for the smoke, and added 3/4 chimney full of lit coals to the top of that. (full enough so the water pan was almost sitting in the coals). Put the middle on the WSM, foiled water pan in and filled, put butts on racks and put in smoker.

Lid temp hit 250 quick, top vent open 100% I closed up bottom vents to about 25% open. 1.5 hrs. later I closed bottom vents to 20% open. Lid temp was 250 at midnight, and when I checked again at 5 a.m. At 6:30 a.m. lid temp was 225 so I stirred coals, temp spiked to 260, then settled back to 250 in less than an hour.

Pulled both butts off at internal temp of 190; the 7 lb'er done at 8:30 a.m. (11 hr 20 min., the 8 lb'er done at 10:00 a.m (almost 13 hrs). Foiled the butts, let sit on counter under towels for about an hour each, then pulled. They were pretty close to perfect !

Have fun !
Just to add to this. I use about half a chiney but I am sure either will work. I don't use water but do foil and your bottom vents will be at about 20-25% open in the summer so agree with that. Every time I cook, it seems to take right at 12 hours no matter what the weight is althought I am almost exclusively between 7-8lbs per butt bone in.

Consider pulling closer to 200 in my opinion. Carefull stiring the coals, you don't want ash on your grub so consider pulling the midsection off the base to make this adjustment but don't drop it! Good luck, send pics.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
BBQ Central College

Thx for all the help guys and girls, today is the day 6 hrs till butts hit coals pics soon