Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flinger

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone, first time post here...

Sure could use some help.

Just bought a Lang smoker. Cooking brisket. 12 pound packer. With my old smoker (got rid of it 5 years ago), briskets typically cooked in 12 to 15 hours.

In the Lang, the fire (combo of mesquite, hickory and oak) stays between 225 and 250 degrees.

But, the meat is at 195 to 200 in about 5 to 6 hours!

I take it off. It's done, but it's tough. Also, no red ring.

Brisket is expensive! Can't afford to ruin too many of these puppies.

I'm thinking this thing needs 10 more hours. But, how do I do that without over cooking it?

Your experience would be greatly appreciated!

It's NOT done yet. Cook by feel, temperature is relative, especially in a brisket. The brisket cannot tell the temperature, so it does not know it is supposed to be done.

When you can stick a fork into it and twist the fork, it's DONE!

The "red ring" or a smoke ring has nothing to do with doneness, or smoke. It's more of a chemical reaction between the moisture and the ingredients of the rub that you use. I can get a nice "smoke ring" in my indoor oven if I try to.

Where's bigwheel when we need him?

I cooked a 10 pounder yesterday in five hours. I cook around 275. All meat is not the same. Sometimes no matter what you do it just won't be tender. Have you ever cooked a Rib Eye that was tough?

It happens sometimes. I wouldn't worry about it and keep on cookin.

Sounds like Bob came up with the answer. I always wait 'till my Thermapen slides through just like butter, then I know it is done. Welcome Flinger, looking forward to see some pictures of that Land and all you cook.

Here's what i did....

First of all , thanks for the input and well wishes guys...

So Bob in Florida,

I took the brisket after six hours on the smoker, sliced some of it and ate it. As mentioned, it was tough - but, it was done at around 195 to 200.

After desperately signing up to reach out to you guys, Bob's comment seemed to reasonate.

So I put the rest of the brisket in foil with a cup of water and put it in the oven at 220 for 8 more hours - total of 15 hrs.

Turned the heat off at 4 am. Took it out at 6. Sliced it at 7. Sort of feel apart, but very tender and juicy. Definitely could twist a fork in it.

It was hard to make a clean slice without it falling apart, so I'm thinking it was cooked a little too long. But, the taste is awesome. Will make some great chopped beef sandwiches.

So, thanks guys. Next time I expect things to go better. Instead of 15 hrs, I'm thinking to try 12 and go from there without going to the oven in foil and going from there

Ain't it crazy how that works!
It goes against all logic we know as man...LOL
I mean......just look at it......LOOK AT IT!!!
You cooked it forever and it got better.....WOW!!

I did the same thing with pork way back in the day....you know when the World was in Black and White...

BBQ is a wonderful thing, in some ways I wish to think in my diseased mind it could solve World peace..

Keep up the good work.............

LoL, what about people that boil ribs, what do you say about that Bosko?

b49nrk.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom