HELP!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

007bond-jb

Master Chef
Yesterday I smoked some loinbacks & a briskit flat, The briskit came out fine, juicy tender could have been pulled rather than sliced. But the ribs while tender & juicy were too tender, You could pull em of the bone by shakin em. Smoker held 250 grate for about 6 hours, foiled & chunked in a cooler while the briskit finished. Been have this problem every time I do pork ribs. & dont always put em in a cooler foiled, never done the 4 2 1 deal either. Got my beef ribs down perfectly.

Whats up???

Got a video & stills but havent finished editing yet. Will post em later

007bond-jb said:
Yesterday I smoked some loinbacks & a briskit flat, The briskit came out fine, juicy tender could have been pulled rather than sliced. But the ribs while tender & juicy were too tender, You could pull em of the bone by shakin em. Smoker held 250 grate for about 6 hours, foiled & chunked in a cooler while the briskit finished. Been have this problem every time I do pork ribs. & dont always put em in a cooler foiled, never done the 4 2 1 deal either. Got my beef ribs down perfectly.

Whats up???

Got a video & stills but havent finished editing yet. Will post em later

6 hours is too long for loin backs. Plan on a 2-3/4-3/4 (2 hours in the smoke, 45 min in foil, 45 minutes for sauce and firming) rather than the 3-2-1. Also I do not like to foil and hold ribs as you stated, it's better to under cook them and then to finish them as you reheat.

wittdog said:
My Loin backs take 6 hrs....

Well then....................give JB some input as to why his don't turn out perfect like yours at 6 hours of cooking................

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

Well then....................give JB some input as to why his don't turn out perfect like yours at 6 hours of cooking................
He kept them on on to long...or they kept cooking in the foil....might be that the ribs are in a hot spot on his pit...BTW I never said mine always came out perfect..mine just tend to take 6 hrs on the offset...I also don't use foil..........................................which will increase your cooking time.
There is a fine line between the perfect rib and one that is over done....

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:

He kept them on on to long...or they kept cooking in the foil....might be that the ribs are in a hot spot on his pit...BTW I never said mine always came out perfect..mine just tend to take 6 hrs on the offset...I also don't use foil..........................................which will increase your cooking time.

Let me plead my case before this turns into another argument, (which is not my intent). I am not trying to argue, so please don't take it that way, but your post was short and kinda like 6 hours is the norm for Loin Backs, which in my opinion is a long time for LBs unless you're cooking very low (200* range). I was simply asking to explain why JB's were coming out too tender because your ribs always looked and sounded good. It was a compliment if anything to you Dave.

Larry Wolfe said:
wittdog said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":3epqbujc]
wittdog said:

Let me plead my case before this turns into another argument, (which is not my intent). I am not trying to argue, so please don't take it that way, but your post was short and kinda like 6 hours is the norm for Loin Backs, which in my opinion is a long time for LBs unless you're cooking very low (200* range). I was simply asking to explain why JB's were coming out too tender because your ribs always looked and sounded good. It was a compliment if anything to you Dave.[/quote:3epqbujc]

Ok I apologize Larry…I took it the wrong way. You are right 6 hrs is not the norm for loin backs. However for whatever reason mine tend to take 6 hrs on my offset. Having never cooked on Jbs pit I don’t know how it cooks….On my offset things tend to take longer to cook then on my WSMs.

I find that resting them in foil continued to cook them, literally steam them and make them do that. It's happened to me before. I do a foil tent for no more than 30 minutes before I slice them.

SteerCrazy said:
I find that resting them in foil continued to cook them, literally steam them and make them do that. It's happened to me before. I do a foil tent for no more than 30 minutes before I slice them.

I agree! I usually serve them right off the WSM, no rest.

Smokey_Joe said:
It's amazing how much more polictically correct and polite
posts in general tend to be closer to the upcoming
"Frozen Few" contest :LOL: :LOL:

4.gif

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Smokey_Joe":1hsc4dd4]It's amazing how much more polictically correct and polite
posts in general tend to be closer to the upcoming
"Frozen Few" contest :LOL: :LOL:

4.gif
[/quote:1hsc4dd4]

Maybe you have two guys that rather than getting into a pissing contest are man enough to admit they are wrong or that the message was lost in translation on the keyboard….. :shock:

Or Larry passed out and I’m to tired to argue….. :LOL:

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
Thanks Nick..you are right..Back on Topic...

When my dome is 250* my grate temps tend to be around 235*

Really! That much of a difference? ;)

Yep, Daves temp fluctuations are normal for WSM's. 15* difference is typical from the dome temp and the top grate temp.

JB, you been cooking them rustled Cajun cows too much. I do them for four hours at 250º in my Traeger, NO FOIL, don't need that texas crutch. They go straight from the smoker to the cutting board. We like just a little pull, not falling off the bone like overdone restaurant stuff. Here ya go BOY.

Back
Top Bottom