haveing meats rest in a sleeping bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris1237

Sous Chef
I was watching a little of the all star bbq show down the other day and Myron Mixion said that you should not let your meats rest in a cooler because it will continue to cook them rather you should let them rest in a sleeping bag because it will not continue to cook them but it will keep them warm. Have any of you heard of doing this or have done it?

Chris

I haven't see or heard of doing this. But I've been telling you guys for years that putting a lot of hot meat in a cooler isn't resting. Oh, I do it to, but I knew what I was doing wasn't letting it rest. :!:

:idea: But, to qualify my statements (now and previously): once the internal temp starts dropping, the meat is starting to rest. It just takes it much longer to get to that point in a cooler with several big pieces of hot meat.

I still believe that there is benefit to the meat being wrapped in foil and in the cooler, or I wouldn't do it. And yes... at some point it is resting, if it is in there long enough. 8-[

How long can you leave a pork butt wrapped in foil in a cooler? I suppose the answer is until you approach the danger temperature zone.

How long can you let a pork butt sit around before you have to pull it?

Smokin' U said:
How long can you leave a pork butt wrapped in foil in a cooler? I suppose the answer is until you approach the danger temperature zone.

How long can you let a pork butt sit around before you have to pull it?

It depends on how much meat and the size of the cooler. Pretty much comes down to common sense. If you have 1 butt put it in a small cooler, it'll stay hot and I mean hot for several hours. If you have two or more put them in a bigger cooler and with the residual heat from the mass they're gonna stay hot for several hours as well. I've kept butts in a cooler for over 4 hours and they're too hot to handle after that.

Letting meat sit out? Well that's a matter of common sense as well. If it's outside and it's 95 degrees out, I wouldn't leave it out longer than 30-45 un-chilled max. If it's inside a cool house, I wouldn't worry about it for at least an hour and a half. After that I'd start to wrap things up.

Thanks Larry!

Larry Wolfe said:
Letting meat sit out? Well that's a matter of common sense as well. If it's outside and it's 95 degrees out, I wouldn't leave it out longer than 30-45 un-chilled max. If it's inside a cool house, I wouldn't worry about it for at least an hour and a half. After that I'd start to wrap things up.

What is the maximum amunt of time a cooked pork butt can rest before you pull (shred, chop) it? In other words, can you pull a cold butt?

I think I was married to one of those once.

Don't laught at that, Lord I apologize for that. Put me with the starvin' Pygmies in New Guinnea

Smokin' U said:
Thanks Larry!

[quote="Larry Wolfe":mqts8mba]

What is the maximum amunt of time a cooked pork butt can rest before you pull (shred, chop) it? In other words, can you pull a cold butt?[/quote:mqts8mba]

Sure you can pull a cold butt, but it will take a little more effort vs. pulling a warm/hot butt. Same theory as my previous reply applies IMO either whole or pulled. If you just wanna see how long you can hold it before pulling, stick a thermometer in the butt. Once it gets close to 140* pull it.

Smokin' U said:
Thanks Larry!

[quote="Larry Wolfe":27u3bgsm]

What is the maximum amunt of time a cooked pork butt can rest before you pull (shred, chop) it? In other words, can you pull a cold butt?[/quote:27u3bgsm]

:-k

Hey Bruce, didn't we see a team in Michigan that left their finished pork butt wrapped and not in a cooler for well over two hours?

brian j said:
i've kept both butts in briskets in a cooler for up to six hours with no ill effect. both times the meat was still warm. i use a towel in there with the foiled meats to take up space and provide further insullation.
At what temp did you pull them from the pit?

brian j said:
i've kept both butts in briskets in a cooler for up to six hours with no ill effect. both times the meat was still warm. i use a towel in there with the foiled meats to take up space and provide further insullation.

Brian also rests his meat in a sleeping bag. I've seen him do that.

1000173ej0.jpg

Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="brian j":2jhw9nil]i've kept both butts in briskets in a cooler for up to six hours with no ill effect. both times the meat was still warm. i use a towel in there with the foiled meats to take up space and provide further insullation.

1000173ej0.jpg
[/quote:2jhw9nil]
Now I dont' care who you are that's funny...

wittdog said:
Bill The Grill Guy said:
[quote="brian j":379tankv]i've kept both butts in briskets in a cooler for up to six hours with no ill effect. both times the meat was still warm. i use a towel in there with the foiled meats to take up space and provide further insullation.

1000173ej0.jpg
Now I dont' care who you are that's funny...[/quote:379tankv]

Agreed.

did a catering a while back... 75 racks of ribs... put them in a dry cooler , and they held for 18 hours.... too hot to handle when we finally opened the cooler..

Bobberqer said:
did a catering a while back... 75 racks of ribs... put them in a dry cooler , and they held for 18 hours.... too hot to handle when we finally opened the cooler..

How was the texture Bob? Were they mushy at all from sitting that long??

Back
Top Bottom