haveing meats rest in a sleeping bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few months back when I was getting serious about learning to smoke good BBQ I pulled the butt off the smoker at 194* and wrapped more foil around the butt then wrapped with a towel and placed it in a dry (igloo) cooler. I left the thermometer in the butt and it NEVER WENT any higher than 195*. I haven't tried it again but I did bring this up on another forum and was told that because BBQing is at a low heat that the temperature shouldn't get much higher. Someone else try it and let me know your results.

http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/topic ... emperature

Smokin' U said:
Thanks Larry!

[quote="Larry Wolfe":20847u23]
Letting meat sit out? Well that's a matter of common sense as well. If it's outside and it's 95 degrees out, I wouldn't leave it out longer than 30-45 un-chilled max. If it's inside a cool house, I wouldn't worry about it for at least an hour and a half. After that I'd start to wrap things up.

What is the maximum amunt of time a cooked pork butt can rest before you pull (shred, chop) it? In other words, can you pull a cold butt?[/quote:20847u23]

Depends on how cold... I wouldn't recommend oh, refrigerating it before pulling it #-o :)

cleglue said:
A few months back when I was getting serious about learning to smoke good BBQ I pulled the butt off the smoker at 194* and wrapped more foil around the butt then wrapped with a towel and placed it in a dry (igloo) cooler. I left the thermometer in the butt and it NEVER WENT any higher than 195*. I haven't tried it again but I did bring this up on another forum and was told that because BBQing is at a low heat that the temperature shouldn't get much higher. Someone else try it and let me know your results.

Craig, had you had 2 or 3 or more butts in the cooler the mass of meat would have caused the internal temps to rise a few more degrees and hold much longer. I agree with the lower temperatures and 1 butt in the cooler the temps are not going to rise much, if at all.

cleglue said:

cleglue, what you were told is basically true. Because of the low cooking temp one butt in a cooler won't raise in temp very much at all. This can be affected also by how long it takes to get it wrapped and into the cooler. The whole cooler thing is either to keep the meat warmer, longer, or to let the meat rest and the juices redistribute... both usually.

There are a lot of variables. The amount of meat, size of cooler, whether or not you pre-heated it, ambient temps, etc.

The main thing is that you want to keep your temps above 140* until it is time to serve your meat.

Back
Top Bottom