Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pete1

Assistant Cook
Thinking about smoking a ham for Christmas. I will be using a 18" WSM.

Should I start with an uncooked or fully cooked? I have read that they turn out pretty good either way.

I have also found some good looking recipes for the rub. Mostly mustard and then brown sugar variations.

I usually use the minion method and I have a temp controller.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

I never fully smoked a ham. However I have grilled plenty of bone in precooked hams. I use my Weber kettle and grill at around 325° until it is warmed thru (about 4 hours.) I still add chunks off wood to the fire though, to give a fresh hint of smoke. It is pretty straight forward. Should be a simple task for you to complete.

I do bone in fully cooked hams on the the grill or WSM high heat. I prefer them not spiral cut. If it has a skin I remove it, make crisscross slices about an half inch deep. Than take toothpicks and pin pineapple rings to the side of the ham and also stud it with whole cloves. I will add about a half cup brown sugar to a can of sprite, 7-UP, or ginger ale and the pineapple juice from the can of sliced pineapples and pour into the pan. Baste the ham around every 20 minutes. If the ham gets too dark I will cover it with foil later on in the cook. Since the ham is already cooked I heat it up between 130-135*F internal.

Nice video Bobby, I have watched Malcom Reed for a while, he has some good ideas. This is a great instructional video for first timers, when it comes to precooked hams.

smoked ham

i halve smoked both pre smoked and fresh hams for holliday meals here in the center of the known bbq universe i halve foud a real to life pork butcher shop that will brine a ham for you they do a 20 or 30 day brine takes 4 to5 hrs. at 325 to 350 absolutely can`t be beat

Back
Top Bottom