grilling double cut pork chops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoke

Assistant Cook
We are having friends over for dinner soon and I wanted to grill double cut pork chops. I have only ever eaten these before while they were prepared by others, never cooked myself.

I was wondering the best way to grill them. They are thick so I was thinking of a mix of direct heat (initial sear) followed by indirect to cook through the middle -- much like a thick steak.

Is this a reasonable approach? I ask because most of the recipes I am seeing just say to put the meat on the grill and check temp in 20 or so minutes. They do not even mention at what tempt to cook them!

Would really appreciate any help!

Give them a two hour brine in this.

Famous Hot Water Movie Star Brine from Big D.

1 gallon hot tap water
1/2 cup salt
1/4 cup of whatever bbq rub you like on pork.
mix it up and dump it over the chops

No need to rinse or refrigerate after sticking them in the brine. I use double trash bags. Anyway dont go past the two hour limit. Dump off the brine and dry them with a paper towel. Rub down with olive oyl and apply more rub. Cook them a slightly below max hot fire which be around 450-500 f. according to my dial. Four mins per side is the key. Like the the large floppy breastes boy happen to mention..dont let them get above 150 on the inside. Should be close to the best you ever had..lol.

Double cut would generally be classified as having two bones..at least in the dialect prevalent around these parts. Now double cut aka..Hollywood style ribs have two meats and one bone.

wanted to thank yall for the help, turned out great:

V4T1uR2.jpg

:)

Yup, that's the way I would do them. Also, brine them first and you won't be disappointed. And DON'T cook them over 150*!

What he said. Except that as long as it is domestic pork, I wouldn't go over 138ish in order to keep them moister, even with the brining. 138 is the newest established "safe" temperature for pork, and if you cook them to 138, they'll be at least 140ish after they do the resting thing.

bigwheel's brine looks like a new one I'll have to try...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom