Great day for some ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Now, after several years, I have produced what I believe will be a competiton worthy brisket.

Now it is time to move on to the next catagory. Ribs. I have been making them all along but I have not focused on consistency the way I have with brisket. I also have never sauced ribs but I understand that it will be crucial in competiton.

img_215830_0_2ae0e5266d5ec40c4f65bafebb43e1ef.jpg

img_215830_1_3b688a529e44ab6f080feff6b54085ae.jpg

img_215830_2_196ed8f4c9623eac99f01d719d0ac0b5.jpg

This particlular critic did not like the idea of eating a pig........ At first.

img_215830_3_8cbfb82f2e08759c35554509d4214e6f.jpg

Well that is sure a purty little rib tester ya got there. Tell her hi and give her a big old nighty nite hug from all us'uns:) Now you are gonna need some rib assistance. Them is some fine looking bones you got there but just not quite show quality if you get my drift and ever happened to have raised show rabbits in 4 H. Fortunantly available is my free world famous rib cooking cyber email suggestion list on just such a topic of which we speak. It is either cough up five bucks to cover the shipping and handling aspects or go research a bunch of old boring drunken threads. Let me know. Now if you use the recipe I get half the money and you keep all the dust collectors. Sounds like a deal to me. Now if this is some kinda yankee contest I take all this back of course. Aint neva been to one. I know you can only use pizzen ivy and wet lettuce to satisfy the artsy fartsy aspects. You know I hear of a guy who flew in a "plating lady" with attendant fees..per diem etc. This when he was winning the State Championship of Lower Slobovia so he could go to the KC Royal. Or maybe this was at the main event. Kurt knows.

bigwheel

I don't know if they are competition worthy or not but they are worthy enough to be stacked high on a plate in front of me. Great pics too and very cute rib tester.

Ok now I got it. The taster also went to the store, picked out and cooked the ribs. Good one Cliff.

bigwheel

Yeppers..its plain to see quality control safeguards are only present W. of the Sabine and S. of the Mighty Red.

bigwheel

Made me laugh. I was the same way. Mum used to overdo pork chops, with pepper alone. They were usually tough. She loved pork, but couldn't really get into anything other than pork chops that were pretty bland. On a trip, my Dad said there was a pig roast and I ordered a hamburger. He insisted, and I ended up going back about 6 times for more. It was fantastic. I had the same greasy smile. Heh.

Well some of yall continue to remind me of my cuz who went to school just to be afforded the opprotunity to chew on the book covers. He had a bunch of sisters and not many groceries at home. He was just hongry I guess.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well some of yall continue to remind me of my cuz who went to school just to be afforded the opprotunity to chew on the book covers. He had a bunch of sisters and not many groceries at home. He was just hongry I guess.

bigwheel

Jeff, you totally have me confused with this one! :?

Well in the opening stanza of this thread Cliff seemed to indicate he was trying to come up with a rib which could possibly do well in competition. The photos submitted indicates the need for a change in strategy over the current procedure. Whilst some are busy trying to help the young man reach the goal the majority of the input seemingly centers on braggin on the product exhibited in the photos. Meaning I would suppose in the view of most there is no need for improvement. I can live with that mistaken assertion and if Cliff is happy thats all that matters.

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well in the opening stanza of this thread Cliff seemed to indicate he was trying to come up with a rib which could possibly do well in competition. The photos submitted indicates the need for a change in strategy over the current procedure. Whilst some are busy trying to help the young man reach the goal the majority of the input seemingly centers on braggin on the product exhibited in the photos. Meaning I would suppose in the view of most there is no need for improvement. I can live with that mistaken assertion and if Cliff is happy thats all that matters.

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

There is plenty of room for improvement. I have no where near reached any goal.

I went to Sam's thinking to myself...Johnny Trigg says that he goes for the pack of ribs that everyone else is throwing back because of fat. I approched the meat counter with the thought to look for some that were a bit on the fatty side. When I opened the cryo vac I found three racks of spares that were very thin. I even employed some of BW's thinking that the bones that are small and round come from a younger hog.

I have actually been using that as a gauge with good results. These had perfectly round and small bones but the meat side of the ribs was very thin from one end to the other on all three racks.

I think the first thing I need to work on is consistently picking out a meaty rack of ribs. I believe that because the ribs were so thin there was way to much pull back and the 3-1-1 method that I used was still to much.

Well first step is forget Sams. Get yourself to Super Target and buy pumped to the gills Hormel Brand. Smaller racks are best. Look for the pencil bones as opposed to the paddle bones as displayed in the pic. Look for thick racks. Keep it under 4 lbs per rack if possible. Look on the bone side and make sure there aint no cross linked bones. Coss linked bones mean it was an imbred hawg who most likely mated with his sister or something like that. Kroger store brand pumped ribs are as good or nearly as good as Hormels. They are normally called Silver Platter or Moist N' Tender or similar. BBQ judges love pumped ribs. They do not like the paddle boned unpumped brontosaurus ribs from Sams.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom