Gotta late start.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
We plan on eating around 4-5pm, got our 21lb bird (with the biggest breast I've ever seen) on around 11:30. So far so good, weather is beautiful, temps in the high 40's with a slight breeze and at 2:30 the breast is at 128º. Won't be long!

img_172089_0_ea2ffd189e8261ff4b287716ce7a6710.jpg

that's a whopper of a bird, Larry. post pic when it's done. Did ya brine it? HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you andyour family.

dmtky said:
that's a whopper of a bird, Larry. post pic when it's done. Did ya brine it? HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you andyour family.

I took this one out of the wrapper, rinsed it off and put it on. It's a self basting bird.......they're not too bad if you don't overcook them!

Larry Wolfe said:
dmtky said:

I took this one out of the wrapper, rinsed it off and put it on. It's a self basting bird.......they're not too bad if you don't overcook them!

Larry, ya didn't rub down with any oil, butter, etc.? No Wolfe rub on it? Yeah, let us know how it turns out.

WildFireEric said:
Larry Wolfe said:
dmtky said:

Larry, ya didn't rub down with any oil, butter, etc.? No Wolfe rub on it? Yeah, let us know how it turns out.

I hardly ever rub anything on my birds.

i've been doing big birds for some time ,open, wash it out, and season with montreal chicken season,stick it on the barbie upside down cook @ 200-225 degrees till done @ internal temp 165, bout 5 hrs,, flip @ 2 1/2 to 3 hrs depends how is looks,,,, when it's done you can ring the juices out it's that juicey,,, it works for me it will work-4-u (MY $.02) HAPPY BIRD DAY TO ALL

Nice job Larry. That is really pretty and for a big bird (7 hours is a long cook to not dry out). Mine was half the size and took 3 hours at 300 degrees.

Cliff H. said:
7 hours ? This cook went into overtime. ;)

Looks mighty good.

Yeah the 7 hours for this 21lber surprised me too, only because the 24lber I did last week only took about 6 hours. In both cases they turned out great and moist.

John A. said:
That is one beautiful turkey Larry. What are the toothpicks for?

To hold the skin back over the breast. The processors almost cut the skin all the way down to the thigh bone.

That is one fine looking bird there larry, hope it taste as good as it looks!! When I get a bigger smoker I will try my luck at smoking one, till then I will stick to frying.

Back
Top Bottom