Got my WSM today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well it finally came in, got it all put together and looks great. The only thing that concerns me is the flimsy lookin door. When i close it there are small gaps in the bottom like it sits up to high but thats the only way it will close, any one else have the same thing?? oh well i kinda rigged it with some foil so it will sit all the way down with no gaps in the bottom.

The door is flimsy! But bend it easily as needed or do like you said and make a gasket out of foil. Mine pretty much sealed with grease. What are you planning on for the maiden voyage?

I have one WSM that the door seals perfectly and another where there are big gaps on each side. They both hold temps for a long time like a champ. Bend it as best you can and then don't worry about it.

Pics will help you remember it when it was shiny. :)

--John
(Like Larry said, don't worry too much about the door. Just be careful when it's off that you don't step on it. :shock: )

The door didnt need to be bent, to me it seems like the knob was mounted a little to low because it wouldnt latch when i set it in like it was saposed to be. So just extended the latch with some foil and it fits perfectly, it had like 1/4 in gaps on both sides at the bottom. But nothing is perfect so i aint to worried about it. Gonna try to do some baby backs today when i get off work, got two other Marines that want to throw a slab on for them. Cant wait to get it fired up :D

went and picked up some loin backs , the ones without the solution. Got em in the fridge with a little mustard and some dry rub on em. Got some famous daves sauce, wanted to make my own but i aint got that much room in this tiny room of mine to store stuff. Hopefully have it fired up around 2 here in Cali.

Hey Steel if your in San Diego (and im sure you are) If you like to fish my old man use to take me catfishin at Lake Hodges. There are some monters in there. Then again you can always go on a day boat at the landing and fish for the really good stuff. db

When I bought my first WSM the flimsy door really bothered me.
But after cooking on it I quickly got over it.
Good luck and don't forget the pics! ;)

Well ribs been on for bout 30 minutes. Its readin 240 at the top, all 3 vents at the bottom are opened all the way, Is that normal??? Gonna do the Texas crutch at 2 hours for about 30 min or so. Well gotta go get a case of PBR to tie me over till these babies are done. Using hickory chunks got bout 4 chunks on it, i figured that should be enough. Still workin on gettin some pics for yall.

I'd shut the vents down a bit. Might spike on ya'.
What kind of coal are you using?
Go get the camera! ;)

Well first cook is over. All i can say is wow. It held 250 at the top the whole time, vents ended up being bout 1/4 of the way open. Sauced the last 20 minutes with famous daves and a little honey, they came out perfect, best ive had in forever. Only got 2 pics with my phone it was 2 dark to see the finished product. So i did the have a cold one while your waiting, and a cold one turned into a few and so on. Had a great smoke ring , took bout 4 hours. So i think im hooked and im planing on a pork butt next ( NC style ofcourse) I use to go to Lexington BBQ all the time when i was in High school so thats my fav.

Oh and i used Kingsford and hickory chunks, figured that was the best way to go on my first smoke with this thing. I might try lump with next one. So where do i get my members jacket at? :LOL:

So only got 2 pics due to beer and light. ones is the wsm chuggin away at 250 the other is ribs right after they were foiled.

img_164791_0_85cea8f52d58b7b36753d6958778ce09.jpg

img_164791_1_2b676f4bfe5387ef140e785ae9e5ce31.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom