Got a WSM for christmas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starwalt12

Cook
As the topic implies I received an 18.5 WSM for christmas. Gonna do my first cook tomorrow. Gonna do some ribs for lunch for me and the family. rather cold here tonight, and windy hopefully tomorrow morning the wind resides a bit. I did also receive a 55 gallon drum to drop over the WSM. Will post pictures when the ribs are done. I am super excited to have one of these somkers. I can't wait to smoke in the morning. Will take any tips or advice willingly.

Use the Minion Method, be patient and remember it takes about 15min for an adjustment to take effect, use only a few small pieces of wood. Oh yeah cover the water pan with two wide strips of foil before you fill it it will make clean up easier. I use sand in my pan but I'm assuming that you are going to use water for your first cook.
Don't fight the temps if it sets up a little higher than you want it go with it..the same with if it's a little lower. If you are looking you aren't cooking..leave the lid on as much as possible.

Couple of questions
What kind of charcoal?
Why kind of wood?
Water/sand in pan?
What kind off ribs?
Are you going to use the texas crutch?

Once the ribs are on think about going to the store and picking up some chicken thighs and a fattie. You can toss that stuff on after the ribs are done and you still have charcoal left.

Have fun and if you have any questions the people on this fourm are good to provide answers..you might get 10 different answers to the same question but...

Captain Morgan said:
where are you located and how cold is it?
See, if everybody would put their LOCATION in their profile, Cappy could have given some good advise instead of asking for more information BEFORE he could give you good advise. Like right here, I call 60 degrees "too cold" and last night it was way down to 45. Now around here, that's considered FREEZING!!!
8.gif

BOB

bbquzz said:
22° here and Bob I feel sooooo sorry for you. Why don't I move to Florida or better yet So. Cal next door to Vermin 999 :shock:
Yeah, Sure you do. :roll:

I vote for next to Vermin 999. His food looks LOTS better, and much more of it. ;)

BOB

wittdog said:
Use the Minion Method, be patient and remember it takes about 15min for an adjustment to take effect, use only a few small pieces of wood. Oh yeah cover the water pan with two wide strips of foil before you fill it it will make clean up easier. I use sand in my pan but I'm assuming that you are going to use water for your first cook.
Don't fight the temps if it sets up a little higher than you want it go with it..the same with if it's a little lower. If you are looking you aren't cooking..leave the lid on as much as possible.

Couple of questions
What kind of charcoal?
Why kind of wood?
Water/sand in pan?
What kind off ribs?
Are you going to use the texas crutch?

Once the ribs are on think about going to the store and picking up some chicken thighs and a fattie. You can toss that stuff on after the ribs are done and you still have charcoal left.

Have fun and if you have any questions the people on this fourm are good to provide answers..you might get 10 different answers to the same question but...

Kingsford, oak, water(only cause I have no sand), spare ribs trimmed down STL style, Dont know what the texas crutch is. Minion method is being used.

Captain Morgan said:
where are you located and how cold is it?

Central Illinois, this morning it is a fantastic 31 degrees here. There is however no wind, so maybe I wont need to use the 55 gallon drum. we'll see.

Nick Prochilo said:
If you use the 55 gallon drum, put some bricks under it to get air in. But 31 degrees won't warranty a drum. Stick with Witts advise!

I have 3 cinder blocks on end positioned around the wsm. I did this before I realized I probably wouldn't need them.

Bob In Fla. said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":1py485pg]where are you located and how cold is it?
See, if everybody would put their LOCATION in their profile, Cappy could have given some good advise instead of asking for more information BEFORE he could give you good advise. Like right here, I call 60 degrees "too cold" and last night it was way down to 45. Now around here, that's considered FREEZING!!!
8.gif

BOB[/quote:1py485pg]

I thought I had my location on there, but I was wrong. It's there now.

Sounds like you are good to go. The outside temp isn't as big of as a deal as wind. Sounds like your good to go. First cook the wsm might run on the hotter side

Sent from my intergalactic communicator using Tapatalk

Well, put the ribs on at 9:15 this morning, took them off at 2:15temp floated between 225 and 250 most of the time. Not as good as id hoped they would be. I felt they had too much chew. I'm thinkin they didnt go long enough. I didnt open the for the first 3 hours. at the 4th hour I added a half chimney of lit charcoal temp came back up to 250, it was dowb to 215-220. The wife didnt care for them much and like I said they had too much chew, I though. So I took what was left of the rack and put it back on the smoker wrapped in foil along with the trimming that came from the rack that ya cut off to make em STL style. I think I'll just forget about em for another hour or so and give em a check then......I dont want to practice at this, I just want to be good at it now.

Yeah sounds like they needed an extra hour or more. Alot of people around here use the 3 2 1 method for ribs. I didn't think about mentioning it becuase I don't use it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom