Good price?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
Yeah buy them... Cook them the same and look for the one without the meat cut out from between them.. They are done when the grease stops dripping and the tear apart easy... JB is the Fred Flinstone Rib guy around here. He has many videos of cooking those too.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/007bondjb

Let us know how they come out...

Tour de Que said:
I remember on another topic, someone wrote about the different types of beef ribs. I can't remember the link.

Well, at Albertson's this week, they are advertising "Beef Back Ribs" for $0.88/lb. Is this a good price? What should I look for? Do you cook beef ribs any different than pork ribs?

I've never done beef ribs before and am thinking about giving it a try this weekend.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PLA

That's a good price if they're meaty. You want to look for meaty ribs and not all bone showing. In most cases, they will be overly trimmed at what are called "Shiners". They'll have enough meat to eat, but would be nice if they had more.

Splash with worcestershire sauce, then rub with your favorite rub if you have one, if not salt, pepper and garlic powder work great.

I like to cook them using a 3-2-1 method, commonly used for pork spare ribs as well. 3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in foil, then another hour to firm up and sauce. Make sure you remove the membrane too.

Hope this helps!

What Larry said but no horsyshire (unless ya like it) foil aint needed for beef ribs due to the area of the cut, I like to use Wolfe rub & no sauce at the end. serve sauce on the side. You don't have to cook em to death either. they can be eaten rare or med rare but they will have lots of grease still in em. Cook to med & thats it, pull em & keep warm till eatin time

007bond-jb said:
What Larry said but no horsyshire (unless ya like it) foil aint needed for beef ribs due to the area of the cut, I like to use Wolfe rub & no sauce at the end. serve sauce on the side. You don't have to cook em to death either. they can be eaten rare or med rare but they will have lots of grease still in em. Cook to med & thats it, pull em & keep warm till eatin time

You must be eatin' the young lean tender cows. Sure they can be eaten med rare, but who can chew 'em?

Can nearly ghurahntee if them beef ribs come from Albertsons they gonna work best as soup bones. I been shopping in them stores for 25 years and aint never seen a passable set of beef ribs in any of the stores. Now Sam Kane meat packers down at Corpus has good big old thick and meaty beef ribs..yum yum. You got any chopping rights out there Sapo?

bigwheel

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="007bond-jb":1fwm3tdh]What Larry said but no horsyshire (unless ya like it) foil aint needed for beef ribs due to the area of the cut, I like to use Wolfe rub & no sauce at the end. serve sauce on the side. You don't have to cook em to death either. they can be eaten rare or med rare but they will have lots of grease still in em. Cook to med & thats it, pull em & keep warm till eatin time

You must be eatin' the young lean tender cows. Sure they can be eaten med rare, but who can chew 'em?[/quote:1fwm3tdh]

Larry its like eatin a rare ribeye. its the same cut of cow Boy. Just closer to the bone. Now short ribs thats from a different area. If they tryin to pass that off ta yall, Go slap the P!$$ out your butcher....

007bond-jb said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":24h19nwx][quote="007bond-jb":24h19nwx]What Larry said but no horsyshire (unless ya like it) foil aint needed for beef ribs due to the area of the cut, I like to use Wolfe rub & no sauce at the end. serve sauce on the side. You don't have to cook em to death either. they can be eaten rare or med rare but they will have lots of grease still in em. Cook to med & thats it, pull em & keep warm till eatin time

You must be eatin' the young lean tender cows. Sure they can be eaten med rare, but who can chew 'em?[/quote:24h19nwx]

Larry its like eatin a rare ribeye. its the same cut of cow Boy. Just closer to the bone. Now short ribs thats from a different area. If they tryin to pass that off ta yall, Go slap the P!$$ out your butcher....[/quote:24h19nwx]

I knows what day iz and wur they cums frum... :roll: I prefer ribeye/rib roasts med rare, I prefer my beef ribs dun! :roll:

Alright. I'm going to get some beef ribs and cook them next week. I hope I don't get the shaft(screwed) on them. Never done um but if JB says they taste like ribyes I got to have um.

bigwheel said:
Can nearly ghurahntee if them beef ribs come from Albertsons they gonna work best as soup bones. I been shopping in them stores for 25 years and aint never seen a passable set of beef ribs in any of the stores. Now Sam Kane meat packers down at Corpus has good big old thick and meaty beef ribs..yum yum. You got any chopping rights out there Sapo?

bigwheel
Yes, I can get the ribs or cases of fajitas from SK...

Tour de Que said:
"Beef Back Ribs" for $0.88/lb. Is this a good price? What should I look for?

PLA

clean out your freezer and jam as many of those $0.88/lb beef ribs in there as possible.. I've never seen em that inexpensive..

That is a real good price. I'll smoke some tomorrow & make a video again, Let me dig for a old post discribing beef ribs cuts for yall,
I couldn't find the post but I did find the photos.

Well they got some good ones or did back in the wee early 70's.

bigwheel

surfinsapo said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel
Yes, I can get the ribs or cases of fajitas from SK...

Yall do know ya kin buy a whole bone in ribeye rack & butcher out the ribs as meaty as you want..... BOY!.
I would go to a slaughter house & tell the cutter you want an untrimmed ribeye rack, The will cut some of the bone/meat off if you don't tell em not to.
They sell the cut off parts as short ribs. I have also seen them labled as beef baby back ribs

More reading,
Look close to the bottom of the page under plate

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom