Gonna have another review

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick Prochilo

Chef Extraordinaire
Well my daughter asked me to bbq for her and her friends before she goes back to school. Grabbed 2 shoulders the other day at the supermarket both in the 7 1/2 pound range. Now understand her friends have heard that I have had people over to sample and rate food I've cooked and they all wanted to be invited to a taste test. Well, I rubbed one sgoulder down with Texas BBQ Rub and the other with Wolfe Bold. Decided not to hold back this time and let her rip with the rubs on both. I put 3/4 of a bottle of Wolfe Rub on one and pretty much the same amount of Texas BBQ Rub on the other. Tomorrow around 6:00 we will have the testers taste and see which raines supreme!

Wolfe on the right, Texas on the left.

Have to wait for the fire.

Cooking

Dang yes..thanks so much for the scientifical reviews. We need mo stuff like this to steer folks in the right direction. Now make sure it double blind and numbered and stuff like that. A lot of science get screwed up when the clinical trials is not conducted right. It is a lot of fun to have a beer contest too. Most folks cant figger out which is Pabst and which is Coors lite.

bigwheel

Ribs are a better test me thinks. Is this the daughter that Finney is in love with? You're asking for trouble! ;)

Woodman said:
Ribs are a better test me thinks. Is this the daughter that Finney is in love with? You're asking for trouble! ;)

I'm doing ribs also. Yeah thats the daughter, but the order of protection seems to be working.

BigGQ said:
How the butts going Nick?

Wrapped and in the cooler. They have been in the cooler since 11:00 and I just took their temperature (3:15) and they are still at 165*. Sorry I didn't take any pictures before I wrapped them.

Here's the start of the ribs. They have been on for 2 hours now.

Rubbed 2 with my rub & 1 with regular Wolfe Rub.

Rolled and ready for the smoker.

Yeah Brian, I unrolled them to put them in foil for 45 minutes. I just unfoiled them and propped them up in the smoker again to firm up a bit. I'll be saucing them in about 1/2 hour and then it's taste test time. I took a little nibble off a piece that broke off with the Wolfe rub on it. Oh WOW, it was great. I think I don't stand a chance agaist this guy Wolfe!

Now whut is that white stuff in the middle of them rolled up ribs? If you dont mind a person being nosey of course. Or maybe that is just some pale hawg meat which did not partake of the rub. I cant tell for sure. Now I thought you was having a contest comparing Wolf with Txbbbqrub. Am I imagining things again?

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
Yeah Brian, I unrolled them to put them in foil for 45 minutes. I just unfoiled them and propped them up in the smoker again to firm up a bit. I'll be saucing them in about 1/2 hour and then it's taste test time. I took a little nibble off a piece that broke off with the Wolfe rub on it. Oh WOW, it was great. I think I don't stand a chance agaist this guy Wolfe!

bigwheel said:
Now whut is that white stuff in the middle of them rolled up ribs? If you dont mind a person being nosey of course. Or maybe that is just some pale hawg meat which did not partake of the rub. I cant tell for sure. Now I thought you was having a contest comparing Wolf with Txbbbqrub. Am I imagining things again?

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:

No, your no imagining nothing. That would be the underside of the ribs which ends up on the inside when you roll them.

Okay here's the last of the pictures.
Texas Shoulder
Texas Pulled
Wolfe Shoulder
Wolfe Pulled
Ribs
Sides

Results of the voting:
Pulled Pork
Wolfe Rub Bold 5
Texas BBQ Rub 5

Ribs
Wolfe Rub Regular 6
Nick's Rub 4

Way to go Larry! The Wolfe Bold is a great rub. I'm pissed I used the last of what I had on the pulled pork. I'm gonna do a brisket this coming weekend and would like to use it on that. I like it that the heat hits you after the fact, just in the back of your mouth or just in your throat. Texas BBQ hits you up front and thats not my cup of tea! With the ribs, I glazed them with Sweet Baby Rays mixed with honey. That really compliments the cinnamon just like you said it would Larry and makes a great combo. Just for the record, I also voted for your ribs over mine! Let me know when your gonna start marketing the Bold! You've got 2 great products Larry!

Nick, I'll punch Finney for you next Friday. Larry, my first experiment is to add your Bold rub to some Sonny's sauce and see if that makes it better.

Captain Morgan said:
Nick, I'll punch Finney for you next Friday. Larry, my first experiment is to add your Bold rub to some Sonny's sauce and see if that makes it better.

I knew I could count on you! Good luck next week! I'll be giving you guys a call to see how your doin! What are the turn in times again?

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":eek:weh39y5]Nick, I'll punch Finney for you next Friday. Larry, my first experiment is to add your Bold rub to some Sonny's sauce and see if that makes it better.

I knew I could count on you! Good luck next week! I'll be giving you guys a call to see how your doin! What are the turn in times again?[/quote:eek:weh39y5]
9:00 AM

Nick Prochilo said:
Way to go Larry! The Wolfe Bold is a great rub. I'm pissed I used the last of what I had on the pulled pork. I'm gonna do a brisket this coming weekend and would like to use it on that. I like it that the heat hits you after the fact, just in the back of your mouth or just in your throat. Texas BBQ hits you up front and thats not my cup of tea! With the ribs, I glazed them with Sweet Baby Rays mixed with honey. That really compliments the cinnamon just like you said it would Larry and makes a great combo. Just for the record, I also voted for your ribs over mine! Let me know when your gonna start marketing the Bold! You've got 2 great products Larry!

Nick thanks for the great review, glad you finally found the heat!! LOL Great looking food as usual!!

Unity said:
Nice thread, Nick, good looking BBQ. :D

--John 8)
(I'm inspired to try some of the same when my Wolfe Rub order gets here.)
John head to the store and get some meat!! I shipped your order out Saturday morning, with you being so close I'd be willing to bet you get it today!

Back
Top Bottom