Gonna have another review - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Gonna have another review

Well my daughter asked me to bbq for her and her friends before she goes back to school. Grabbed 2 shoulders the other day at the supermarket both in the 7 1/2 pound range. Now understand her friends have heard that I have had people over to sample and rate food I've cooked and they all wanted to be invited to a taste test. Well, I rubbed one sgoulder down with Texas BBQ Rub and the other with Wolfe Bold. Decided not to hold back this time and let her rip with the rubs on both. I put 3/4 of a bottle of Wolfe Rub on one and pretty much the same amount of Texas BBQ Rub on the other. Tomorrow around 6:00 we will have the testers taste and see which raines supreme!

Wolfe on the right, Texas on the left.

Have to wait for the fire.

Cooking
__________________

__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Cliff H.'s Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas
Posts: 6,143
Good luck with the cook. They will both good.
__________________

__________________
" Never let a day go by "
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
Bruce B's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Utica, MI
Posts: 6,758
LLooking good Nick, and looking forward to the reviews.
__________________
Bruce
Treasurer, Great Lakes BBQAssociation
www.glbbqa.com
Rubbed, Smoked, and Sauced Competition BBQ Team-
22 1/2" WSM, 2 18 1/2" WSM's, 22 1/2" Weber Kettle
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Dang yes..thanks so much for the scientifical reviews. We need mo stuff like this to steer folks in the right direction. Now make sure it double blind and numbered and stuff like that. A lot of science get screwed up when the clinical trials is not conducted right. It is a lot of fun to have a beer contest too. Most folks cant figger out which is Pabst and which is Coors lite.

bigwheel
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
BBQ Centralite
 
Woodman's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mentor, Oh
Posts: 4,457
Ribs are a better test me thinks. Is this the daughter that Finney is in love with? You're asking for trouble!
__________________
"I was born to cook for people"
Woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
Graduate of BBQ Central
 
BigGQ's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 599
How the butts going Nick?
__________________
Master Judge - SCBA
Cert. Judge - KCBS
BigGQ Cooking Team, Head Monkey

Its okay...you can feed the monkey.
BigGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman
Ribs are a better test me thinks. Is this the daughter that Finney is in love with? You're asking for trouble!
I'm doing ribs also. Yeah thats the daughter, but the order of protection seems to be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGQ
How the butts going Nick?
Wrapped and in the cooler. They have been in the cooler since 11:00 and I just took their temperature (3:15) and they are still at 165*. Sorry I didn't take any pictures before I wrapped them.

Here's the start of the ribs. They have been on for 2 hours now.

Rubbed 2 with my rub & 1 with regular Wolfe Rub.


Rolled and ready for the smoker.
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Yeah Brian, I unrolled them to put them in foil for 45 minutes. I just unfoiled them and propped them up in the smoker again to firm up a bit. I'll be saucing them in about 1/2 hour and then it's taste test time. I took a little nibble off a piece that broke off with the Wolfe rub on it. Oh WOW, it was great. I think I don't stand a chance agaist this guy Wolfe!
__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Official BBQ Central Mark
 
bigwheel's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Foat Wuth
Posts: 9,951
Now whut is that white stuff in the middle of them rolled up ribs? If you dont mind a person being nosey of course. Or maybe that is just some pale hawg meat which did not partake of the rub. I cant tell for sure. Now I thought you was having a contest comparing Wolf with Txbbbqrub. Am I imagining things again?

bigwheel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Yeah Brian, I unrolled them to put them in foil for 45 minutes. I just unfoiled them and propped them up in the smoker again to firm up a bit. I'll be saucing them in about 1/2 hour and then it's taste test time. I took a little nibble off a piece that broke off with the Wolfe rub on it. Oh WOW, it was great. I think I don't stand a chance agaist this guy Wolfe!
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #10
Moderator
 
Nick Prochilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 16,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel
Now whut is that white stuff in the middle of them rolled up ribs? If you dont mind a person being nosey of course. Or maybe that is just some pale hawg meat which did not partake of the rub. I cant tell for sure. Now I thought you was having a contest comparing Wolf with Txbbbqrub. Am I imagining things again?

bigwheel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Prochilo
Yeah Brian, I unrolled them to put them in foil for 45 minutes. I just unfoiled them and propped them up in the smoker again to firm up a bit. I'll be saucing them in about 1/2 hour and then it's taste test time. I took a little nibble off a piece that broke off with the Wolfe rub on it. Oh WOW, it was great. I think I don't stand a chance agaist this guy Wolfe!
No, your no imagining nothing. That would be the underside of the ribs which ends up on the inside when you roll them.
__________________

__________________
I hope this isn't negative!
Nick Prochilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.