Gomer's First Pulled Pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gomer1

Senior Cook
What can I say I am excited to do my first smoke on my WSM and my first Pulled Pork.. So I am starting the posting early and plan to keep whoever is interested full of updates.

I did a typical rub recipe and put a little mustard on my butt and then rubbed my rub on heres a pic of it before it went back into the fridge. The smoke won't start till tonight but as I said I am excited to put all the info you guys gave me into use!

Thanks again! and more pics to come!

Keep us posted!!!! Did you receive your ET-73 on time??? Finney has the tracking information, so I can't tell if it's been delivered or not. Let me know!!

Rock on baby bro.
I'll stay up for a while checing updates.

So give use some details.
Cooker?
Temps?
Times?

So I am not starting the cook until 11pmish PST. I am hoping to be done by 2pm (including my rest). Using my brand new WSM and cooking a 8lbs butt bone in (it was hard to find one with the bone!). Just made some slaw to go with my butt once it is done.

Larry, thank you a ton I actually received it on friday, had I gone ahead with my original plans and did a friday night/saturday smoke it would have been right on time thanks to you and your guys a ton!

Thanks to everyone else as well for the good words :) I will def have more pics.

There may be other opinions about this but, I think you may be cutting it a little close if you plan to rest the but for a couple of hours.

I agree with Cliff but it depends on the temp you are cooking at and what type of techniques you are going to use.

I am going to put sand in the water dish and put foil over it. Cook it at about 235-250 and never open it (I was considering fatties in the morning but maybe i better not.)

Gomer,

After doing several cooks on my wsm I am still guilty of " Not leaving myself enough time ".

I don't know were it goes. I plan for plenty of time but something always seems to happen. I forget that it takes time to prep the meat. I forget that it takes time to bring the smoker up to temp. I forget that it may take an hour or so to get the wsm to settle in on a temp.

Just leave yourself a couple of extra hours in there somewhere.

If that don't work out then you may have to make it up on the tail end of the cook. Those butts need to rest for a while.

Gomer said:
So I am not starting the cook until 11pmish PST. I am hoping to be done by 2pm (including my rest). Using my brand new WSM and cooking a 8lbs butt bone in (it was hard to find one with the bone!). Just made some slaw to go with my butt once it is done.

Larry, thank you a ton I actually received it on friday, had I gone ahead with my original plans and did a friday night/saturday smoke it would have been right on time thanks to you and your guys a ton!

Thanks to everyone else as well for the good words :) I will def have more pics.

Thank you Gomer, glad it got to you fast! As far as my "help" goes, Finney is the best help money can buy! He's a good fella! [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Thanks guys, I will start earlier for sure then. Until I do heres another pic for you, finished my sides up:

Ok we are started, and I am even more excited now, my temp is holding super steady just 30 minutes after closing up my WSM. Things are looking perfect, I must be a natural!

(Okay, it is much more likely you guys are awesome, and I am doing a good job at listening to you all! hehe)

Thanks!

Heres some kinda boring, yet very exciting for me, pics!

Looks like you are off to a good start. Make minor adjustments to the vents if the temps creep up. Give the smoker a 5-10 min to react. See ya in the am.

Back
Top Bottom