Furlough Friday Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith F

Cook
Todays Smoke is going to be Brisket.
I have never tried the High and Fast method before. After a little poking around I think I am ready. We will know for sure around dinner time.... hehe

Smoker: UDS

Rub:
1 C Turbinado Sugar, 1 C Sea Salt, 1/2 C Paprika, 2 T Fresh Black Pepper, 2 T White Pepper, 1 T Garlic Powder, 1 T Onion Powder, 1 tsp Ginger Powder, 1 tsp Csyenne.
I know it is not a great Competition Rub but it makes me smile when I eat it.
12_18rub.JPG

Temp: 300
12_18temp.JPG

Brisket: 7.5 lb 1/2 inch fat cap (Cooked cap down)
12_18start.JPG

The plan is to cook it at 300 for 2-3 hrs. Foil till internal temp is 180 then un-foil for 30 min with fat cap up to dry bark back out then hold in cooler or rest depending when the meat is done and when Donna wants to eat.

Here we are at 2 hrs.
12_18mid.JPG

Sound like a plan and looks good so far. I use a similar rub with a little brown sugar added. I have two butts rubbed with it in the fridge right now that will go on at midnight. I have to do a brisket soon, I'll watch your results.

This is just before pulling off the smoker after the dry out
12_18dryout.JPG

Done!
12_18end.JPG

Notes: This is my most tender brisket to date! Cook times 3 hrs then foiled for 2 hrs. It passed the "butter" test at 200 internal. Removed foil and let dry out in smoker for 15 min. Moved to cooler and held for 2 ½ hrs. The brisket is moist. Very Easy to byte through but not falling apart. Small smoke ring and a little lighter in smoke flavor than I expected. All the fatcap did not melt away as it does with long smokes. I guess some trimming is in order with the High and Fast cook. I used sea salt instead of Kosher salt in the rub so it was a too salty. Next time I will back off on the salt by ½.

All in all, if time is a concern I will run High and Fast again. BUT I still think low and slow leaves a little better smoke flavor.

Buzz,
Good luck with the butts tomorrow.
Scotty,
I am just learning to cook by Feel. I have been cooking by the numbers for a lot of years. Old habits are hard to brake.

Looks real good from where I'm sitting. The rub sounds good and if the brisket tastes good and was cooked right (like it sounds/looks) it'd do good in a comp. Thanks for sharing! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom