Frozen Butt Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Going through my chest freezer the other day I found a cryo pack of pork butt in the bottom that I didn't know (or remember) was there. The date on the package is February 2008.

Do you think it would still be OK for use if it has been frozen that long?

I'd

I'd poke a hole in the bag and dump some worcestershire sauce into it. Something about when the meat was frozen some of the water in it turns to ice, so as it defrosts the worcestershire sauce is absorbed back into the meat and thus adding favor. I think the only thing you would have to worry about is freezer burn and this always helps. My $.02 as to what I'd do.

I'd just give it a vinegar bath. that will help. But if it;s bad, chuck it out. Vac Pack can stink, but is okay. They put a gas in the vac pack at the factory.

Pigs

Bruce, from a safety standpoint, it's perfectly fine as long as it remained frozen and did not significantly thaw for any time period and was refrozen.

Typically quality is what suffers from meat that has been in the freezer for a long time. But, as long as the seal was not broken and there is no significant freezer burn, it's fine. If there is any freezer burn, cut it off after it's thawed. You will more than likely will never know it was frozen for a long period of time after cooking!

It looks fine, no visible freezer burn in fact, if you didn't see the date on the label you'd have a hard time knowing how long it's been in there.

How bad could it be anyway, as long as it smells OK when it thaws, I'm cooking it. Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom