Frozen Butt Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no...it would take 2 days and the outside inch or 2 would be dry and
inedible.

Use the running water technique to defrost it, and put it on thawed.
Butts are way too thick to cook frozen.

After wasting 4 days in the fridge, I thawed my 14 lb shoulder by putting in a large stockpot of tap water in an ice chest with a few chunks of ice overnight. Woke up this morning debating if the water needs more ice or put it outside and guess what: the thing had thawed completely. My ribs were in a separate pot and did the same thing. I think running water or changing the water in your container will work as well. I'm in no hurry, so overnight worked for me.

Captain Morgan said:
no...it would take 2 days and the outside inch or 2 would be dry and
inedible.

Use the running water technique to defrost it, and put it on thawed.
Butts are way too thick to cook frozen.

Jim is right, cooking a frozen butt will ruin it. I run into this problem when I cook alot of turkeys, cause if you have 5 of them in the fridge it takes alot longer for them to thaw. So I will put them into a sink of cold water and then change the water every 30 minutes or so. Depending on the size of a turkey you can thaw a completely frozen turkey in 3-4 hours safely using this method.

I've done partially frozen butts on a J R Oyler.. came out fine..I've also done frozen ribs, chicken and briskets on a Lang84 and they came out fine

You got big frozen meats like butts..briskets..turkeys etc...that you want to cook tomorrow..great way to thaw em is stick em in an empty ice chest fill it up with water from the tap or garden hose..shut the lid and let it set at room temp till the next day. The water will be nice and cold and the meat will be thawed. Learnt that trick from old Pigman Jim. Will work with at least two largish items in there. Never have maxed it out..and should be somewhut dependent on the size of the ice chest and such things..but with a regular sized old cheap ice chest two frozen butts or briskets be ready to rip in 12-15 hrs and purty much hassle free.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom