Freezing Fresh Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
After I had already purchased my birds for T-Day I found a grocery store that was carrying store brand FRESH turkeys. None enhanced, none frozen turkey. That's great......If I had known this, I would have gone a whole other direction on cooking prep for the smoked bird.

I will never see these birds again until maybe next year.

Should I snag a couple and freeze them to practice with all winter ?

Will they freeze ok ?

The frozen ones at the store are flash frozen at the Processor's. That helps prevent cell damage. When you freeze at home, you'll loose a little quality and may get some freezer burn. Wrap it tight, then wrap with foil. I wouldn't leave it in the freezer for more than 3-4 months.

Scotty is right...I just watched an Alton Brown special where
he said his turkey of choice is frozen.

He preferred the frozen turkey for the reason Scotty noted
above.

edited to add that I bought a fresh turkey before I saw the
show and there was nothing wrong with it, except it was more
expensive.

Captain Morgan said:
Scotty is right...I just watched an Alton Brown special where
he said his turkey of choice is frozen.

He preferred the frozen turkey for the reason Scotty noted
above.

edited to add that I bought a fresh turkey before I saw the
show and there was nothing wrong with it, except it was more
expensive.

I tivoed that show the other night. It was a pretty good show!

the day after thanksgiving you can usually get the fresh turkeys marked down quite a bit, I've been getting them for 50 cents a pound. I throw them right into the freezer and have cooked them up to a year later and they tasted just fine. I do brine them before cooking. I should add that my freezer is set at zero degrees

gsmith said:
the day after thanksgiving you can usually get the fresh turkeys marked down quite a bit, I've been getting them for 50 cents a pound. I throw them right into the freezer and have cooked them up to a year later and they tasted just fine. I do brine them before cooking. I should add that my freezer is set at zero degrees

Yesterday my wife called me from work and said they had Honey Suckle fresh turkeys $.39 a pound. I went and bought 4 of them and put them in my freezer for later in the year.

I've kept fresh birds in my deep freeze for almost a year before, and couldn't tell the diffrence from the ones I bought the same week I cooked them. I wouldn't do this if I were trying to compete in some sort of turky contest, but wouldn't have a second thought to freezing any birds.

Back
Top Bottom