For you guys in the Q business

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gator1

Senior Cook
How do you hold your "Q" after it is finsihed and before you serve it. I've seen some otherwise good looking meat turn nasty due to it being held too long...how do you guys do it and what is the best method?

Gator

gator said:
How do you hold your "Q" after it is finsihed and before you serve it. I've seen some otherwise good looking meat turn nasty due to it being held too long...how do you guys do it and what is the best method?

Gator

wrapped in foil and in a prewarmed cooler or cambro

gator said:

Gator

How long do you need to hold the meat before serving ??

I had 2 shoulders wrapped and in the cooler today for 6 hours. When I took them out of the cooler they were 150* I put them still double wrapped in foil into the oven at 190* for 2 more hours. They came out moist and hot!

I try to pull/slice within 60 minutes prior to serving, put in a lidded foil pan and hold in the upright warmer on my pit. The meat does suffer appearance wise as it always darkens in color, but it still tastes fine. The general public does not judge BBQ by appearance anyway. Unfortunately, it is near impossible to time 40 or so cuts of meat of differing types to finish simultaneously. Also, to serve it "fresh" I would need four more people helping. THe food "tastes" great! I'll guarantee I would not win a KCBS comp with my catering though! ;)

I took a pan of pulled pork " two butts " to Church for potluck today. The foil serving pan had been in the fridge overnight. I added some apple cider to it before heating. It went in a 170 deg warmer at 8:30am this morning. At 9:45 it was up to 70 deg.

I inserted a maverick probe right in the middle of the pan of meat, covered and put it into a 325 deg oven. At 10:40 it was up to 120 deg and climbing slowly. I then sauced with "non heated" sauce and bumped the temp to 375 deg.

At 11:45 it was time to eat. I had no choice but to serve it at 155 deg. I was shooting for 165 but I ran out of time.

Less than 30 minutes later there was no evidence that I never made it to 165. :D

I now have some idea how long it takes to reheat a pan of PP. I think two hours at 350 would have been about right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom