Foiling Boston Butts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jester1

Senior Cook
I guess this is more of random question about foiling. I normally bring my BBs to around 185 and then foil them with a little apple juice till around 205. When I foil them, I just wrap a few layers of foil around them and try to seal them as well as possible. Do people ever use those small aluminum pans from the grocery store and just seal them with foil over the top? The foil pans seem like they could be easier, but I would think that juices and whatnot wouldn't be directly touching as much of the meat. Im interested in hearing what everyone's else does and/or thinks about all of this? Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

I don't foil. I think it ruins the bark. Sure, it takes a little longer, but I think it provides a better product.

I actually have never done it without the foil. I may have to try that out... It's too late for time around, but I am pushing to throw something on the smoker every weekend for the next could months.

It all depends with me as to when I am serving the pork. If I am preparing for a farmers market or party ahead of time the bark isnt going to be crisp on reheat anyway so then I wrap as I usually am working with 6 to 10 butts at a time. If it is going to be eaten when done I wont foil as that is what makes the pulled pork so popular with most people. It is a preference to all but to me....the bark is the bomb.

Well a nice yankee taught me years ago to cook two butts (or cut a big one half in two) cook one butt or half butt nekked and foil the other. Mix them 50/50 when it comes time to push and pull. Use mainly outside meat for contest cooking. Mrs. White aint real popular. I tried the pan route for brisket one time but it changes up a lot of the cooking parameters of which I was accustomed. Think it has do with the additional head space or something. Did not work even remotely similar to foiling it tightly.

Back
Top Bottom