FOIL! (not me)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jminion said:
Jack
Faced with the situation you describe I will not take the ribs to done, that way I don't get the geletin texture holding in foil. On the reheat they finish tenderizing without becoming mushy and I set the glaze.
Jim

Before or after foil?

Do you find that you still get the gray color?

Inquiring minds and all :idea:

Jack

Jack I won't cook in foil and cool as fast as I can, warp in foil till reheat.
Serving ribs straight off the pit is always the best way to go but using foil under these sircumstances can effect color but a small amount of sauce takes care of it with out losing texture or flavor.
Jim

Here is what I found out. I did 6 racks foiled for 2 hours. I then cut a few racks foiled and a few unfoiled and set 1 bone pieces in pans marked A & B Then asked people to try them. Most "older" people liked the foiled ribs over the unfoiled. But then almost all the younger crowd liked the unfoiled. So who knows. There is a big difference in texture. The foil ribs were falling off the bone. Is that a good thing? Guess it all depends on your preference. Maybe I should put in for a government grant to do more study on the subject. :grin:

Great report Pigs.....I don't believe that ribs should be falling off the bone, so I don't foil em that long. Even when doing spares with the
3 hours in the smoke, 2 hours in the foil, one final hour in the smoke,
I usually go about 1 and a half in the foil.

Pigs, I heard a stat somehwere that 90% of the general public who consume ribs prefer "falling off the bone" ribs like they do at Damons. I call it mushy meat ribs because, to me, that is what they tatse like!

Damons or the other big rib chains would never win a comp but people still think their ribs are good...the worst case scenario is having a Damons lover come to your house and tell you that your ribs are bad! #-o That never gets old for me!! :!:

jminion said:
Jack I won't cook in foil and cool as fast as I can, warp in foil till reheat.
Serving ribs straight off the pit is always the best way to go but using foil under these sircumstances can effect color but a small amount of sauce takes care of it with out losing texture or flavor.
Jim

I agree. The process you are using is sound. On a 3-2-1 type of time table you can do the 3, cool them, wrap in foil and continue with your cook at another time. The second time period will be slightly different since you are heating from a cool point rather than a continuing to cook point. IMHO the cooling and reheating is hard on the cell structure and is what causes the "mush" unless you are carefull with your heat. You kind of have to coax them along. If you hit them too hard they go from 1st and 1/2 rate to 3rd in a coal snap. I would like to try bringing the ribs to room temp then continuing but I ain't got the guts to tempt the food baddies. Just my .02

Thanks for the good advice.

Good Q!

Jack

Captain Morgan said:
I've never noticed grayness. Think I'll do a slab with no foil just for comparison sake.

The gray will show up if you cool the ribs then reheat them. Right off the pit you probably won't notice a difference.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom