First Try at Ribs- pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every time you open the pit to spritz your losing heat and extending cooking time. Try to spritz less often. I usually don't even peak until 3 hours, then mop or spray. Make sure your pit is running around 225* and six hours should do it.

deputynrc said:
Well This was my first try at spares on the pit. Coated with mustard and WolfRub (great stuff) and refrigerated overnight. Put on smoker and spritzed every 20 min with a mixture of; 1 Cup apple Juice, 1 Cup Jack Daniels, 1 Tablespoon Pure maple syrup, 1 teaspoon of basalmic vinegar. 3 hours uncovered, 1 hr foiled, and 1 1/2 unfoiled. They tasted very good however, they did not pull from the bone like I have been reading about. They were a little tough but they were done. Any ideas, My wife said it might be the meat. I, on the other hand think it was the rookie behind the tongs!! :)

Also did some cornbread in the pit the last 45 min of the cook. Man that was good!!

deputynrc

Neil,
I normally cook my spare ribs for at least 6 hours using the 4-1-1 method with a pit temp between 235 -250 degrees. 4 hours in the smoke, 1 hour foiled and 1 hour sauced and back in the smoke. Using this method I have very consistent results every time. The meat will not "fall off" the bone, but will pull right off with an easy bite and tug. You can also check the tenderness by wiggling the bone, if it wiggles easily and loosely they're done. The meat should also pull away and expose the bones a bit. Your ribs looked great, nice color and smoke ring. I think an hour or so more, you would have had the tenderness you were looking for. Glad you like the Wolfe Rub!

3-2-1 method was originally developed for baby backs, where the person who developed it cooked his baby backs for 6 hours at 225.

Spares will take longer and even that will increase with opening of the pit every 20 minutes. I usually don't even think of spraying mine until 1/2 way through the cook, and then 1/2 the remainder, and so on.

I'll have to agree with the others. You just opened up your cooker too often. No big deal. It's hard not to when you start. You'll get to the point that you know what's going on without looking.
You never did say what your pit temp was.

Woodman said:
Spraying is a no-no on my pit! Ask Kloset !!! #-o :)

I don't spritz either, IMO it's a waste of time. Especially if you foil. Just my opinion though.

Bruce B said:
3-2-1 method was originally developed for baby backs, where the person who developed it cooked his baby backs for 6 hours at 225.

Spares will take longer and even that will increase with opening of the pit every 20 minutes. I usually don't even think of spraying mine until 1/2 way through the cook, and then 1/2 the remainder, and so on.

Baby backs for 6 hours probably will fall off the bone. I do my spares about 4-2-1 and are always great!

Back
Top Bottom