First try at abt's and a pork roast in my La Cajita China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the pics Steve.
That's an interesting piece of equipment. How long was the roast on?
A little chilly there huh :shock:

No doubt about it> That is the most interesting looking cooker I have seen in quite awhile. looks like it did the job just fine! You can never make enough ABT's ! I found that out a long time ago ;)
Þ

Good looking stuff Steve! I was at a wedding a few years ago and they used one of those cookers to cook a whole pig. It was great except it doesn't get any smoke flavor because your cooking it in a box with the fire on top. What did you do with the other 1/2 of the peppers from the abt's?

Nick

Your right, but I only cut the tops off,(deep boat) so I could really stuff em!
Next time (next weekend) I'll cut them in half and double the order!

Cheers

I still can't quite get a grip on them cookers.... they kinda remind me of the photocopied jokes that get passed around at work....

like the one of the "woodstove"...and it's a wooden box with a door and a stove pipe out the top.

I wonder what happens with that thing if the fire ever has a FLARE UP [smilie=rlp_smilie_003.gif] or grease fire. Maybe it's designed so that's an impossibility... but all the same....

Re: First try at abt's and a pork roast in my La Cajita Chin

Steve McMurtry said:
The ABT'S were fantastic I made eight, and should have made a dozen or two! :shock:
The roast was underdone due the probe on my polder packed it in again :cry: These probes are crap!
It still turned out great, moist and tastey :D

Cheers

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/merc01/

One thing that I learned about probe thermometers is that you can't let the door of the cooker, or lid, crimp the wire. Or else it will ruin it in a very short amount of time. You may want to drill a hole just for it to fit through to avoid the crimping.

Tim

Brian,

It does a fantastic job on just about anything, but no smoke flavour!
Another great thing with this unit, is it's great for standing around with
the odd adult beverage in the winter ! 8)

Cheers

Well that is a cute cooker you got there. Could tell that butt looked a little red. Might trying adding the "poke test" to your doneness checking routine. Dont take too many pokes to get a feel for it. Some folks use a fork..I just use the slim pointy end of my Wally World Instant read gauge with large readout for old blind folks. Aint quite as destructive to the meat as twisting a fork around in it and you can also read the dial to see whut it say on the temps. Just offers a little double check on the electrical gizmos. Sure those things can be treacherous. Now the one I got dont lie too much but it likes to loose its signal sometimes. Guess it had too many beers spilled on it over the years..or maybe got too close to the fire etc.

bigwheel

Thanks Bigwheel,

I did poke it, and sure felt like it was done, but it was not quite done
around the bone!
I have even spilt the odd Shiner :LOL:

Cheers

Steve McMurtry said:
Brian,

It does a fantastic job on just about anything, but no smoke flavour!
Another great thing with this unit, is it's great for standing around with
the odd adult beverage in the winter ! 8)

Cheers
From the looks of the temps up there :shock: that sounds like a great idea ;)

Well that happens to everybody. I have been fooled many times usually erring on the side of not cooking it quite long enough. Seems like hooch consumption is direcectly proportional to at which stages a piece of meat passes the poke test. I think if a person drinks a lot of hooch it gets done faster but is more red and chewy.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well that happens to everybody. I have been fooled many times usually erring on the side of not cooking it quite long enough. Seems like hooch consumption is direcectly proportional to at which stages a piece of meat passes the poke test. I think if a person drinks a lot of hooch it gets done faster but is more red and chewy.

bigwheel
It might depend on what kind of hooch you are speakin' of ;)

cleglue said:
Smokey_Joe said:
I wonder what happens with that thing if the fire ever has a FLARE UP [smilie=rlp_smilie_003.gif] or grease fire. Maybe it's designed so that's an impossibility... but all the same....

It shouldn't flare up the fire is on top of the metal lid and it is outside of the box.

Here's their website

http://www.lacajachina.com/

Well I'll be diggered! From the pics you posted, it looked like the try of coals got lowered down into the box maybe...

Seeing it on the website explained everything.... I've never seen or heard of one before.......pretty cool rig!

Keep us posted with it's performance......thanks for the link to their website.

Back
Top Bottom