First Time Smokin' a Chubby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
I've always wanted to try smoking bologna and the other day I was at Restaurant Depot and saw this 10lb chub of all beef bologna on the shelf and I couldn't resist.

Cut it in half and then cut one-half into two 2 1/2lb chubs, criss-cross cut the chubs and then slathered both in mustard and rubbed with Plowboys Bovine Bold Rub.

Royal Oak lump in the WSM with a couple of pecan chunks. Taking it up to 150º or so. Here's some early pics.

img_168245_0_464d47522fd01f71943bf52b409a32ec.jpg

img_168245_1_4715341fa04271ea510dafaa05baebce.jpg

More to follow:

Looks good. Whut brand bees the baloney? If you dont mind a person being nosey of course:)

bigwheel

Do you think a deli would sell something like that? I want to try it also.. :D

surfinsapo said:
Do you think a deli would sell something like that? I want to try it also.. :D

They got it at the deli at most big stores. Just have em wack off as big a hunk as you want for a test drive. Then if you like it go back and buy the whole roll. It freezes well.

BW..that was Farmland 100% All Beef Bologna

SS...I'm sure not only a deli, but I know you can get them at any WalMart Super Center or just about any grocery store deli counter too.

This one was $2.19/lb for 10pounder

Bruce B said:
BW..that was Farmland 100% All Beef Bologna

SS...I'm sure not only a deli, but I know you can get them at any WalMart Super Center or just about any grocery store deli counter too.

This one was $2.19/lb for 10pounder
Cool, we have a Walmart Super here on the bad side of town..Thanks.. :D

Thanks for the brand broadcast Bruce. Know I have tole this story a million times and I hate to be overly redundant yet again...but got a chum who does about half a big chub each day in his sandwich deli. He used a small custom built offset logburner sitting out in front of the place for many moons..smell drove the yups flat crazy and triggered a feeding frenzy... but he recently acquired a big Southern Pride...so now he just tosses it in there. Can't say it tastes any mo betta or worser. Still makes the air smell purty good. He uses Eckrick all beef. Makes a mighty fine sandwich for lunch. I always get mine on a whole wheat bun..with bbq sauce...hot sauce (been using Siriachi here lately but he used to have some high dollar Iguana brand Hab sauce from Costa Rica which was mighty good too..has a pic of a big green lizzard on the label..lable?) raw onywans...sliced pickled japs and a thick slice of rat cheese. Yum yum. Take half a roll of paper towels to clean up afterwards. Shower would actually be mo betta.

bigwheel

Ok I've seen several of you do this. Gotta give it a try. What wood would yall recommend smoking it with? Bruce can't wait to see your results.

Here's the final pics:

img_168304_0_5037054fd51726376fb8ac8fd4c8988b.jpg

Took the chubs to 152º, brought them inside and foiled them because dinner was still about an hour away.

img_168304_1_5aae731736e48940260a9fbb948fc043.jpg

Sliced up and plated with some caramelized onions, on a grilled onion roll with Big Bob's Mustard Sauce and some fresh store bought potato salad.

Final review: the flavor of the meat is great, some smokiness but you know how that goes eating your product right after smoking it all day. I'll see if I detect more smokiness tomorrow. As far as the Bovine Rub, VERY GOOD, nice bark on the bologna, you get an initial sweetness followed by some salt flavor and ending with some heat, not a lot of heat, just enough to let you know it's there.

Smoked Bologna...I'd give it a 7.5; easy smoke, will make great sammies for a day or two, cheap, would be great to chunk up and eat with some crackers and spicy mustard during a football game.

Looks like a fine meal, Plenty for lunch's later too.

Anybody ever deep fry bologna? sliced thick?

that looks better than my few attempts Bruce...I never
got the smokiness I wanted, but I think I wasn't cooking
it long enough....give a final report after you de-smoke
yourself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom