first smoke is a flop.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starwalt12

Cook
Fired up my borrowed WSM 18.5. got to temp threw on some hickory chunks and put the ribs on. I left it alone for 2 hours, didnt touch it. Long story short.......Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much rub, and smoker was too hot says my friend who loaned me the smoker. The ribs were still good after breaking through the super duper black bark. Gonna give it another try in a few days. :oops:

Well I believe both thermometers he gave me, the one in the smoker and the digital were wrong. after realizing the the dial therm in the smoker was wroing i layed the digital one in there through the small hole in the side and since the unit had magnets on it i just attatched it to the top of the smoker. To start with initially i threw in two fully lit chimneys of charcoal after about 3.5 hours or so I threw in another fully lit chimney full, which I believe now was too much. The ribs went for a total of just almost 6 hours. And what makes me believe the digital therm wasn't working properly was at one point when i moved it cause it was reading something like 185 it then jumped to 360 or so........ I'm sure the smoker was too hot the whole time....Any suggestions for the next time?

Might want to check your thermometers in some boing water as well to see just how far off they are.

starwalt12 said:
bbquzz said:

Are you asking me what the minion method is?
3 Olives said:

Were the ribs enhanced and what rub did you use?

On half of the ribs I used a store bought rub, and the other half I used a rub I bought at work. How much fuel should I have used?

Click on the blue letters in Buzz's post and it will hook you up with the "Minion Method"

6 hour cook in a WSM, 1/2 - 3/4 ring filled with unlit charcoal. Then 1/3 chimney of lit charcoal dumped in. Assembly smoker and monitor temps. Control heat on the way up, not trying to bring it down later. Cooking grate temps should be around 250 - 275 degrees. Try 3-2-1 method and let us know the results.

starwalt12 said:
3 Olives said:
starwalt12 said:
Long story short.......Waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much rub,

Were the ribs enhanced and what rub did you use?

And I don't know what enhanced means..

The meat is pumped up with a salt water solution to help give it more moisture. The package will have some type of notice on it that it is enhanced.

I read up on the minion method a couple of weeks ago, and thought about utilizing it for the ribs but was told ribs don't cook long enough to use said method. What SHOULD I have done? Therm has been changed to a new o ne that works, so hopefully that will make it easier. Tomorrow night I am going to smoke a chicken, hopefully it comes out ok, if not ive only wasted $4 instead of $10.

I use the minion method all the time for ever cook! Just vary the amount of unlit fuel for the length you are looking at. It's the best way for a consistent cook everytime.

Sent From My HTC Inspire

What Greg said. For chicken I would increase the cooking temp to 325 - 350. It will give a crispier skin and you will still get enough smoke flavor to the bird.

What Nick said. I've found cooking yardbirds at anything lower than 300 will dry them out something fierce, because there is darned little fat in the meat. Brisket, butt, and ribs all have lots of fat that needs to be rendered out by cooking low and slow.

Add enough unlit coal to complete the job. I always fill it up with unlit then shut it down when done. I agree higher temp for chicken so start with at less 1/2 chimney lit get temps up. Did you use the water pan? Brine the yardbird. Good news no pictures it didn't happen. :)

Back
Top Bottom